Can I read the Bible in "chronological" order?

I know there are Bible reading plans–even for Catholics.

Yet, I was wondering how advisable would it be to just read the Bible from start to finish in order?

If you can stick with it go ahead !!!

ICXC NIKA.

Hi VeronicaM,

It’s awesome that you are reading the Bible and looking for other ways to do so. Good for you!
It can be read from start to finish, that is one way to do it. That isn’t really chronological, though, because the books aren’t placed in a chronological order and there is a lot of overlap for their time of composition. For example, the Psalms, Proverbs, 1 and 2 Chronicles, Ecclesiastes, and Song of Solomon were written during the time of the Royal Kingdom which we read about in 1 and 2 Samuel and 1 Kings. Also, many of the Old Testament prophets overlap each other and are written about events that happened during 2 Kings. I think Joel, Amos, Obadiah, and Micah all describe a time prior to Jeremiah, Lamentations, Baruch, and Daniel…but they show up in our Bibles after them. So there isn’t a completely chronological setup to how the books are arranged in the Bible.

If you want to read sortof a chronological “story” of salvation there is a way to do that by reading the following 14 books in this order:

Genesis, Exodus, Numbers, Joshua, Judges, 1 Samuel, 2 Samuel, 1 Kings, 2 Kings, Ezra, Nehemiah, 1 Maccabees, Gospel of Luke, and Acts.

You may want to try to find something called “The Bible Timeline”. It’s a foldout chart that is quite handy in showing some of this. I think Jeff Cavins did it.

God Bless You.

The.Ryrie study Bible has a great plan! I’ll see if I can find the link, or you can google it… it’s a Protestant study guide but has wonderfully arranged readings :slight_smile:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.