Can I receive the Eucharist...

Can I receive the Eucharist as a Latin rite Catholic in the eastern churches? Can I get the sacrament of confession, too?

In Eastern Catholic churches the answers are yes and yes. :)

Peace and God bless!

Before receiving the Eucharist, make an effort to introduce yourself to the priest before the liturgy begins. He would like to know his communicants personally and he also uses your name when administering the sacrament. Also make sure you are aware of the different protocol for receiving in the Byzantine (or other) Rite. Cross your arms over your chest (the same posture as Latin Catholics use for a “blessing”), open your mouth wide, do not stick out your tongue, and tilt your head slightly back. The minister will slide the Eucharist into your mouth on a small spoon. It will be the intincted species of bread and wine together. You do not have to respond verbally at all, just swallow and pray on your way back to your place.

[quote="Elizium23, post:3, topic:303713"]
Before receiving the Eucharist, make an effort to introduce yourself to the priest before the liturgy begins. He would like to know his communicants personally and he also uses your name when administering the sacrament. Also make sure you are aware of the different protocol for receiving in the Byzantine (or other) Rite. Cross your arms over your chest (the same posture as Latin Catholics use for a "blessing"), open your mouth wide, do not stick out your tongue, and tilt your head slightly back. The minister will slide the Eucharist into your mouth on a small spoon. It will be the intincted species of bread and wine together. You do not have to respond verbally at all, just swallow and pray on your way back to your place.

[/quote]

Only the Byzantine Rite uses the spoon, IIRC, and the Melkites do not despite being Byzantine.

Peace and God bless!

I am a Latin rite catholic and do receive frequently the Eucharist in Byzantine Catholic rite as there are churches in my hometown in Romania. Here they do not use the spoon for the Eucharist. The Oriental rite is also beautiful. God bless you!

In some Churches the communicants do not cross their arms over their chest. In some Churches they will come up like that, others with their hands folded as in prayer, others will need to help hold the communion cloth under their mouth (in which case be polite and hand it to the person behind as they approach, if possible), etc., etc. Just pay attention to what others do and do your best to follow suit. Also, in some of the larger Churches the priest may not say your name when offering communion…or he may ask your name before you receive. Regardless, my point is that on a lot of these things YMMV, so I would suggest introducing yourself to the priest well before liturgy begins and see if he has 5 minutes to answer these types of questions. If not, just follow along and you’ll be fine.

[quote="Ghosty, post:4, topic:303713"]
Only the Byzantine Rite uses the spoon, IIRC, and the Melkites do not despite being Byzantine.

Peace and God bless!

[/quote]

Why do the Melkites not use the liturgical spoon?

[quote="JDGaney, post:1, topic:303713"]
Can I receive the Eucharist as a Latin rite Catholic in the eastern churches? Can I get the sacrament of confession, too?

[/quote]

Yes and yes. :)
If there's a Byzantine rite parish nearby, they administer the Eucharist using the liturgical spoon. :)

Some do, some don’t. I’ve seen video of Melkites using the spoon and not using it.

When they don’t use the spoon, they dip strips of the precious body by hand when communing the faifthul. The Body remains on the paten, which is held by either a deacon or subdeacon, and intincted by the deacon or priest communing the faithful, who usually also holds the chalice. So, the faithful approaches, the minister picks up a piece ofthe precious body, dips it into the precious blood and places it into the mouth of the communicant.

Please show me how both are done. :slight_smile:

There are some Melkites that use the spoon. Examples:

cal-catholic.com/wordpress/2012/06/08/st-george-melkite-greek-church-sacramento/

Presanctified:
melkite.net/visitors/things-know

Everything I have read, other than here, in Orthodox texts and on web, says

Roman Catholics may NOT take the eucharist at Orthodox services.

For example:

Approach the priest to receive Communion only if you are a baptized Orthodox Christian. The Orthodox church does not allow Christians baptized in other denominations to receive Communion.

Read more: How to Receive Communion in the Orthodox Church | eHow.com ehow.com/how_2054625_receive-communion-orthodox-church.html#ixzz2BpyorQcU

ehow.com/how_2054625_receive-communion-orthodox-church.html

Since the schism Roman Catholics are viewed as heretics.

Catechism of the Catholic Church 1399 The Eastern churches that are not in full communion with the Catholic Church celebrate the Eucharist with great love. “These Churches, although separated from us, yet possess true sacraments, above all - by apostolic succession - the priesthood and the Eucharist, whereby they are still joined to us in closest intimacy.” A certain communion in sacris, and so in the Eucharist, “given suitable circumstances and the approval of Church authority, is not merely possible but is encouraged.” 235

235 Unitatis Redintegratio 15 # 2; cf. CIC Can. 844 # 3.Unitatis Redintegratio 15. Everyone also knows with what great love the Christians of the East celebrate the sacred liturgy, especially the eucharistic celebration, source of the Church’s life and pledge of future glory, in which the faithful, united with their bishop, have access to God the Father through the Son, the Word made flesh, Who suffered and has been glorified, and so, in the outpouring of the Holy Spirit, they enter into communion with the most holy Trinity, being made “sharers of the divine nature”.(35) Hence, through the celebration of the Holy Eucharist in each of these churches, the Church of God is built up and grows in stature(36) and through concelebration, their communion with one another is made manifest.

In this liturgical worship, the Christians of the East pay high tribute, in beautiful hymns of praise, to Mary ever Virgin, whom the ecumenical Council of Ephesus solemnly proclaimed to be the holy Mother of God, so that Christ might be acknowledged as being truly Son of God and Son of Man, according to the Scriptures. Many also are the saints whose praise they sing, among them the Fathers of the universal Church.
These Churches, although separated from us, yet possess true sacraments and above all, by apostolic succession, the priesthood and the Eucharist, whereby they are linked with us in closest intimacy. Therefore some worship in common (communicatio in sacris), given suitable circumstances and the approval of Church authority, is not only possible but to be encouraged.

Moreover, in the East are found the riches of those spiritual traditions which are given expression especially in monastic life. There from the glorious times of the holy Fathers, monastic spirituality flourished which, then later flowed over into the Western world, and there provided the source from which Latin monastic life took its rise and has drawn fresh vigor ever since. Catholics therefore are earnestly recommended to avail themselves of the spiritual riches of the Eastern Fathers which lift up the whole man to the contemplation of the divine.

The very rich liturgical and spiritual heritage of the Eastern Churches should be known, venerated, preserved and cherished by all. They must recognize that this is of supreme importance for the faithful preservation of the fullness of Christian tradition, and for bringing about reconciliation between Eastern and Western Christians.

vatican.va/archive/hist_councils/ii_vatican_council/documents/vat-ii_decree_19641121_unitatis-redintegratio_en.html

CICCan. 844
§1. Catholic ministers administer the sacraments licitly to Catholic members of the Christian faithful alone, who likewise receive them licitly from Catholic ministers alone, without prejudice to the prescripts of §§2, 3, and 4 of this canon, and can. 861, §2.
§2. Whenever necessity requires it or true spiritual advantage suggests it, and provided that danger of error or of indifferentism is avoided, the Christian faithful for whom it is physically or morally impossible to approach a Catholic minister are permitted to receive the sacraments of penance, Eucharist, and anointing of the sick from non-Catholic ministers in whose Churches these sacraments are valid.
§3 Catholic ministers may lawfully administer the sacraments of penance, the Eucharist and anointing of the sick to members of the eastern Churches not in full communion with the catholic Church, if they spontaneously ask for them and are properly disposed. The same applies to members of other Churches which the Apostolic See judges to be in the same position as the aforesaid eastern Churches so far as the sacraments are concerned.
intratext.com/IXT/ENG0017/_P2S.HTM

[quote="njriverman, post:12, topic:303713"]
Everything I have read, other than here, in Orthodox texts and on web, says

Roman Catholics may NOT take the eucharist at Orthodox services.

[/quote]

Am I missing it? I didn't see any one in this thread say Orthodox accept Catholics for Holy Eucharist. As for Catholic Canon law CIC and CCEO both allow a Catholic to receive, if the Orthodox priest is willing, under specific limitations. Vico has provided the CIC for the Latin Church. Without looking it up the CCEO is basically the same as I recall

Well put.

The above quotes deal with Orthodox attending Roman Catholic Masses.

Here is more on the topic…

Orthodox can receive Catholic Eucharist, but Catholics are forbidden to receive Orthodox Communion

Eastern Orthodox members may receive the Eucharist with Catholics, if there is no Orthodox Church available, since Catholics recognize no substantial barrier to communion between the two. Most Eastern Orthodox bishops will** not permit Roman Catholics to receive the Eucharist at your Divine Liturgies; and we of course must respect this and not **receive at Orthodox Divine Liturgies. I pray that this will change some day soon. For, we both – East and West --clearly possess the true priesthood and true Sacraments. There has been no interruption of this, as was the case when the Protestants denied the priesthood and the Sacraments. And so, Christ is truly Present on the altars of both our Churches; and it is a great pity that we cannot receive Him together.

From catholic.com

forums.catholic.com/newreply.php?do=newreply&noquote=1&p=10003373

it has to with the fact the Roman Church made changes to the Nicene creed which the Orthodox feel were a corruption of it.

Here is more from the Orthodox website.

oca.org/reflections/fr.-lawrence-farley/the-filoque-clause

And from Wikipedia. oca.org/reflections/fr.-lawrence-farley/the-filoque-clause

I’ve been studying this in detail as I am strongly considering joining the Roman Catholic Church, but I need to have my first marriage “annulled” to do so. Interestingly to join the Orthodox Church I don’t have to have it annulled. That attracted me as I did not want to cause my first wife further pain.

[quote="Crescentinus, post:10, topic:303713"]
Please show me how both are done. :)

[/quote]

Melkite, no spoon:
youtube.com/watch?v=MFsCb-2wqXk&feature=relmfu
about 2:45

[quote="5Loaves, post:14, topic:303713"]
Am I missing it? I didn't see any one in this thread say Orthodox accept Catholics for Holy Eucharist. As for Catholic Canon law CIC and CCEO both allow a Catholic to receive, if the Orthodox priest is willing, under specific limitations. Vico has provided the CIC for the Latin Church. Without looking it up the CCEO is basically the same as I recall

[/quote]

CCEOCanon 671
1. Catholic ministers licitly administer the sacraments only to Catholic Christian faithful, who, likewise, licitly receive the sacraments only from Catholic ministers.
2. If necessity requires it or genuine spiritual advantage suggests it and provided that the danger of error or indifferentism is avoided, it is permitted for Catholic Christian faithful, for whom it is physically or morally impossible to approach a Catholic minister, to receive the sacraments of penance, the Eucharist and anointing of the sick from non-Catholic ministers, in whose Churches these sacraments are valid.
3. Likewise Catholic ministers licitly administer the sacraments of penance, the Eucharist and anointing of the sick to Christian faithful of Eastern Churches, who do not have full communion with the Catholic Church, if they ask for them on their own and are properly disposed. This holds also for the Christian faithful of other Churches, who according to the judgment of the Apostolic See, are in the same condition as the Eastern Churches as far as the sacraments are concerned.
4. If there is a danger of death or another matter of serious necessity in the judgment of the eparchial bishop, the synod of bishops of the patriarchal Church or the council of hierarchs, Catholic ministers licitly administer the same sacraments also to other Christians not having full communion with the Catholic Church, who cannot approach the ministers of their own ecclesial communities and who request them on their own, provided they manifest a faith consonant with that of the Catholic Church concerning these sacraments and are rightly disposed.
5. For the cases in 2, 3 and 4, norms of particular law are to be enacted only after consultation with at least the local competent authority of the non-Catholic Church or ecclesial community concerned.

[quote="njriverman, post:15, topic:303713"]
Well put.

The above quotes deal with Orthodox attending Roman Catholic Masses.

Here is more on the topic.....

[/quote]

Until you introduced this new topic, this thread has been about whether a Latin/Roman Catholic can receive in an Eastern Catholic Church.

I think a number of us here would disagree with what you have said regarding Catholics never being communed by Orthodox priests, but that is a separate topic and I encourage you to begin a new thread on that topic if you want us to respond to that.

How about with the liturgical spoon? O:

[quote="Crescentinus, post:19, topic:303713"]
How about with the liturgical spoon? O:

[/quote]

When done by Melkites, it looks just like it being done by Ukrainians. You can search out the Ukrainians communing on youtube easily enough. The video I saw it in was on DVD, not online.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.