Can I receive the Eucharist?

Hi. I last went to confession on Sunday, but I feel like I’ve sinned badly since then. I want to receive it again this Christmas, but I don’t know if I am worthy…

[LIST]
*]I used the phrase “Oh my God” (and not reverently) several times since Sundays, usually out of frustration at work
*]I was in a very foul mood yesterday, where I had very mean and cynical thoughts about my boss at the place at work
*]I’ve had blasphemous thoughts run through my head every once in a while, and I feel like I sometimes let them stay there for too long
*]I’ve sometimes glanced at attractive young women for far too long, I think.
[/LIST]

I recognize the Eucharist is a privilege, not a right, but I really want to start receiving the Eucharist badly. I’ve barely been to communion this year (I can count the number of times on one hand) because I work on Saturdays and that’s when confession is on at the nearby churches. I sometimes feel like I keep plunging myself into mortal sin almost as soon as I exit the confessional. The thought came into my head that I’ll likely almost never receive Communion as long as I live, though I want to, because my thoughts are always extremely dark and I’m too prideful and I keep using the Lord’s name in vain.

Can someone give me some advice?

You seem very scrupulous and should seek the guidance of a good confessor. There is nothing satan would want more than for you to think that you are so unworthy to receive Christ and stay separated from Him. Jesus is infinite love and mercy. We have the beautiful sacrament of reconciliation to receive the healing from Christ and His church. We need to use this sacrament regularly but we also need to know how to view our actions on a day to day basis. We all sin everyday but we cannot go to confession everyday. Mortal sin is when we sin with a total disregard for God exhibited with full consent. While mortal sin is a definite possibility, it is not always the case even with those sins that you mentioned. I would pray a good act of contrition with the intent of going to confession as soon as you can. If you are in mortal sin because you committed those sins with the notion of “to heck with you God” then I would refrain from the Eucharist. If you committed those sins out of weakness, habit, or any other reason whereby you did not consciously reject God then I would receive the Eucharist. Get through Christmas but you REALLY need to seek counsel from a priest. The Eucharist is not a sacrament that any human being is worthy of receiving. However, the Eucharist is a gift that we should receive as often as we can. If you are in doubt as to whether or not you are in mortal sin then most likely you are not. If you have a good prayer life which includes the sacrament of reconciliation then things will be that you will have a much calmer attitude. I hope this helps. Merry Christmas. :slight_smile:

Know that you’re not alone with this. Mention this next time you go to confession. Other than that, there’s not much advice one can give except perhaps accept these things as a challenge, not a condemnation. You sound like you want to do the right thing. And a good person. :wink:

As for communion, don’t give up. Remember the old adage: Absence makes the heart grow fonder. People like us tend to appreciate the Eucharist more. :wink:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.