Can i receive?

I feel reall bad about a work occuance. i was working with two ladies, one which is pregnant. They got into a what would you do discussion if they knew their baby would have down syndrome. While i dont believe the pregnant girl would abort, i pretty much stayed quiet during the whole exchange and feel like i missed a teaching moment. i am going to certaintly bring this up in my next confession and will jump.at the opportunity to speak up next time. do u think i am ok to receive though if i dont get to confession before church.

This is beyond scruplous. Missed a teaching moment:rolleyes:

Even if the woman declared she was getting an abortion tomorrow and you failed to speak if you weren't part of their conversation (eg. over heard it) it mayn't of been a mortal sin that bars you from communion.

We certinally must be vigilant in defending life, while not glossing over the difficulities handicapped people face. We do have a duty to speak up, and sometimes when we're in a conversation we must under the pain of sin. But not speaking up, especally when people are talking hypotheticals and not talking to you, can't be a sin.

[quote="Booter, post:1, topic:233104"]
I feel reall bad about a work occuance. i was working with two ladies, one which is pregnant. They got into a what would you do discussion if they knew their baby would have down syndrome. While i dont believe the pregnant girl would abort, i pretty much stayed quiet during the whole exchange and feel like i missed a teaching moment. i am going to certaintly bring this up in my next confession and will jump.at the opportunity to speak up next time. do u think i am ok to receive though if i dont get to confession before church.

[/quote]

If that woman had told you, "I am going to abort my baby unless you stop me," and you didn't stop her, you still are not responsible for the baby's death, she is, and the abortionist is. You may have a guilty conscience about not speaking up for life but you have not sinned...At least I cannot imagine this would be a sin.

You have to do this carefully though, so that their minds are opened and they don't just attack you...Make sure you stay very polite. I would probably not get into a 3 way discussion but talk to the pregnant woman alone if the opportunity presents itself. There are a lot of people who consider themselves to be pro-life who would still support killing a down syndrome baby because they believe it to be cruel to bring such a child into life. As if God makes a mistake!!! Most Down syndrome children are, in fact, aborted, which is another sick fact of abortion.

[quote="Booter, post:1, topic:233104"]

[/quote]

Hi Booter,

I agree with the others; I don't see how this can be seen as sin. If the lady who was expecting said she would have an abortion in case of downs, then case can be made that we should speak up (maybe at some other point in time when it's most effective). In that case, we can see it as God's special call. But I don't see how we can be talking about mortal sin unless we are talking about materially cooperating with an abortion- providing money, a trip to the clinic, or deliberate advice to go ahead an abort. I would say it is also gravely sinful to emotionally or materially abandon a woman or girl if you have a special responsibility- a girl's parent, a husband or the father of the child.

In talking about promoting the cause of life, it's better to focus on the virtue of doing positive things rather than going on guilt trips over what we didn't do. After all, most people are potentially able to show up at the actual clinics to offer assitance, yet we generally find just a handful. Are all pro-life Christians in sin because of this?

God Bless,
Joan

Thanks for your replies i just think that sometimes the worst thing you can do is keep your mouth shut when you should speak. i has some good arguments 2. the girl is my friend and i do always ask her the baby is doing, and or hr junior is doing just to personalize the baby more. i just want to evangelize life the best i can without being argumentative or preachy.

[quote="Booter, post:5, topic:233104"]
.....i just think that sometimes the worst thing you can do is keep your mouth shut when you should speak....

[/quote]

God bless you and thank you for coming here and asking your question.

Did you notice when another poster mentioned being "scrupulous?" I mean this very lovingly but have you ever looked into this?

Trying to lead a moral life is our obligation, however worrying that something like you have is actually a moral sin and can damn you for all eternity is a concern.

I quoted you above where you said you "just think that sometimes the worst thing you can do is keep your mouth shut" this is simply not true. God does not require us to speak up at every opportunity. In fact, sometimes the most holy thing that you can do is listen, and pray. There are many worse sins then not speaking, I think you probably already know this though.

Praying for you and your spiritual journey.

You feel bad because you missed an opportunity to do good. That's wonderful. Nowadays I wonder if most people seem to only feel bad when they miss opportunities to sin.

You are definitely very Catholic, and that's nice for me to see.
:)

Pray for me,
Andrew

No matter how much of a friend someone is, people can turn on you.

First of all, I will assume that you NEED your job and God understands that. In this day and age, evangilizing at work could get you fired. So... if the conversation comes up again and you are part of it (not just listening to someone else's conversation), simply say 'I don't think it is appropriate for this discussion to take place at this time'

You did not encourage the abortion, you simply let them know if the circumstances are appropirate ie outside of work, you have no problem telling them your feelings.

And if they want to take this out of the office, you can be honest. I am Catholic and I believe all children have a right to life and I am very concern for the damage on women's souls after they have an abortion.' End of discussion. You let your view be known and let them do as they choose

CM

If someone asked me directly about an issue regarding the sanctity of life i would not say it's inappropriate to discuss....i would let the truth be known.....i'm not talking about picking fights or yelling like the talking heads on cable news but i believe people can have a rational discussion about life issues without hating on each other....Personally if i ever got fired for standing up for life i would be proud.....i may be saying this because i am single and my job is boring...but nevertheless....i'm not talking about going aroun handing out fliers at work....i am talking about through the course of a workday people bring up moral issues in conversation....there are a few times where i havd found myself defending the faith/pope but in a charitable way.....obviously they are paying me to work not preach...but one can walk and chew gum at the same time.....anyway thank you for all your responses you are in my prayers

closed #10

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.