Can I recieve Communion tommorow?

A few weeks ago, I made a promise to God that every day I would spend eleven minutes (originally ten, but I decided that eleven wasn’t too much more of a stretch) in prayer and then pray the Rosary later. On the weekends, I don’t usually get too much opportunity to do my eleven minutes, but I’ve managed to manage up until now. I only had the opportunity to do half my eleven minutes (fortunately, I did the Rosary earlier in the day) and had to finish up the remaining five minutes of it at 12:20 AM on the next day. From my understanding, breaking this promise would constitute mortal sin; however, I didn’t finish because I fell asleep when I told myself and God that I wouldn’t. I didn’t want to fall asleep, so assuming it would be mortal sin under normal circumstances, do I not meet the requirements for deliberate consent? I did it the second I remembered about it when I woke up. Also, would there be anything else that could prevent it from being a mortal sin?
My main question is: can I receive the Eucharist tomorrow? I just want to make it clear that I’m not particularly worried about this. I don’t feel like it’s a mortal sin, but I’m just making sure because our feelings cannot accurately predict the state of our souls.
I know I should probably take this up with my confessor, but I won’t be seeing him until next Saturday. Thus, I’m going with the next best thing: you guys here at CAF.

Mortal sin is in the “mind”, the intellect and will choosing to love something besides God as most important to you.
Venial sin is something that “catches you off-guard”, and you do it “without thinking/without reasoning” before your conscience has a chance to remind you to turn away.

While our lives are meant to be lived “purposefully” (consciously paying attention to our direction in life), we are instinctual in our flesh, and do “fall asleep without realizing and forget what we were doing”, we do things automatically then realize we were not right.

That is not mortal sin unless we intend to live our lives that way and purposely refuse to pay attention, purposely let our instinct be what is really important to us.

Go to Mass, confess “I confess to Almighty God, and to you my brothers and sisters, …”
Receive Christ’s Body and Blood purposefully, intentionally, and not instinctually (because the rest of your pew is going forward). “I am going to receive Christ virtuously this morning, faithfully, hopefully, loving Him”. Let him be the forgiver, and you consciously be the one forgiven. And walk back to your pew with the resolve, “I am going to do the things I do and promise ‘virtuously’, rather than just doing the things I do mechanically.”

As stated above, when it’s time for the Confiteor, pray it fervently, and be at peace.

Stop with the silly promises. God doesn’t “time” our prayer. It has to be sincere, devout, and genuine. While it’s laudable to devote a dedicated amount of time each day to prayer, that time can vary, it can be the exact same time each day, it can take the form of the Liturgy of the Hours, it can be a morning rosary, or whatever you are determined to do. But don’t do it simply because “you promised”. Do it for the genuine love of God and you will find that it’s not a burden that must be upheld. It’s your wonderful time in conversation with the Lord.
Be blessed.
And don’t tend to scruples. These doubts can get out of hand quickly.
View the Lord as your Creator and most loving Father.
Pray.

Peace to you dear one. I hope your Mass today greatly enriches your soul. :slight_smile:

Be very careful of scrupulosity. God is not holding a stopwatch to check whether you prayed the full 11 minutes or only managed 10 mins 47 secs. It is not accurate or helpful to think of God like that.

What matters is what is in your heart, your intention. Life has a habit of getting in the way. We get tired, fall asleep, things crop up etc. God understands. He really does. All He asks is for our LOVE. Jesus even said not to pray by babbling lots of words.

The point of prayer is to make time for God, to communicate, to enable us to speak to Him and He to us. Prayer does not change God. It changes us. Prayer is contact with God as is receiving Him in Holy Communion. Just as the latter possesses a transformative function and power so does the former. We cannot be touched by God and remain unchanged.

Prayer is not us trying to get God to see our point of view. It is rather we striving to bring our will into alignment with God’s so that what He wills becomes our will. Then we will be living in the Divine Will and every word and action of ours glorifies God and our life becomes prayer.

I believe firmly that God doesn’t care about how long a prayer is or how you pray (so long as it isn’t disrespectful). I agree with pianistclare when they said that God doesn’t time prayer, and it is more about the character of prayer and how sincere you are. God so loved the world He died on a cross for our sins, I don’t think He would deny a reasonable prayer if it was done in a loving way! I think you are safe to receive Communion tomorrow.

God bless.

Thanks for all your help, guys! I think I’ll receive Communion today, but I still want to bring it up with my confessor next Saturday. If this situation happens again, I don’t want my scrupulosity getting out of hand, heh.
Oh, and I just remembered - last time I decided not to do my prayers, I did discuss it with a priest and he said he didn’t think it’d be a mortal sin if I didn’t do them - and those times, I missed it deliberately. Still, thanks for your help, guys. It’s a relief to have such a good, correct most-of-the-time community three clicks away.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.