Can I still be saved?

I read by St Alphonsus Liguori that after a certain number of mortal sins committed, God–because he is not just infinitely merciful but also infinitely just–will no longer tolerate the evils of the sinner, and will withhold the grace necessary for repentance, which would seal the sinner’s eternal fate for hell, even before they are dead.

I committed mortal sins before, so would I be unsure if God gave me the grace necessary to make a good confession?

Dear friend,

It is true that with God mercy and justice are one; but this does not put a limit on His love for us. Certainly, when we confess our sins and receive absolution for them from Him through His priest, He will NEVER take back that forgiveness; and so long a we repent, He will always forgive seventy times seven, as He says in Mt. 18:22. His love for us is has no limit.

Fr. Vincent Serpa, O.P.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.