Can i still recieve the eucharist

Hello i am 21 and have a friend who is underaged. Yesterday we had around 2 beers at my house. I was wondering since my friend is not of age and everything and it could be considered procuring. Thanks!

i don't see the sin in this. UNLESS he left and drove afterwards. or acted badly because of the alcohol.

AT any rate it doesn't sound like a mortal sin, which would keep you from worthily receiving the Eucharist until you go to confession, so I think you are ok to receive, but you can still mention it at your next confession.

Thanks i was all worked up that i'm in mortal sin, i'll definately mention it at my next confession.

how old is your friend?

[quote="williamdrew, post:1, topic:306955"]
Hello i am 21 and have a friend who is underaged. Yesterday we had around 2 beers at my house. I was wondering since my friend is not of age and everything and it could be considered procuring. Thanks!

[/quote]

Procuring?
But...procuring what?

Unless you were trying to get a minor drunk for sexual purposes against their will or other negative ends to the beer means, I can't see in any way how two friends having a beer or two is "procuring".

Unless you mean procuring in another way? Using another definition other than the dictionary meanings?

Is this friend underage and you are very, very, very much older than he?
It's pretty common for college kids who are still a year underage or whatever to have a beer. It's illegal if you are served in a public place, but you were at home. Even parents have given their kids a beer or wine in the privacy of their own home.

This does not sound like it was of grave matter.

Exactly. How old is this friend? Were you leading a young person/child astray or not? If they were old enough to decide for themselves, it wasn’t your responsibility.
Second question, how can something be a sin in one country and not in another (for instance, the legal age is 18 in the UK). I can see the possibility of it being illegal in a public place, but in private, no, and I wouldn’t see it as a mortal sin anywhere unless driving was concerned, or brawling.
And I agree, where does ‘procuring’ come into it?

procure |prəˈkyoŏr; prō-|
verb trans. ]
1 obtain (something), esp. with care or effort : food procured for the rebels | [with two objs. ] he persuaded a friend to procure him a ticket. See note at get .
• obtain (someone) as a prostitute for another person : he was charged with procuring a minor.
2 trans. ] Law persuade or cause (someone) to do something : he procured his wife to sign the agreement.

[/quote]

To my knowledge it is not illegal for a person underage to have a drink at home.

[quote="thistle, post:10, topic:306955"]
To my knowledge it is not illegal for a person underage to have a drink at home.

[/quote]

I believe it is in a number of states. In any event, in California, although the drinking itself may not be illegal,
every person who sells, furnishes, gives, or causes to be sold, furnished, or given away any alcoholic beverage to any person under 21 years of age is guilty of a misdemeanor.
Cal. Bus. & Prof. Code § 25658(a).

[quote="MarkThompson, post:11, topic:306955"]
I believe it is in a number of states. In any event, in California, although the drinking itself may not be illegal,
every person who sells, furnishes, gives, or causes to be sold, furnished, or given away any alcoholic beverage to any person under 21 years of age is guilty of a misdemeanor.
Cal. Bus. & Prof. Code § 25658(a).

[/quote]

I think that means outside the home in public. I don't think the law forbids anyone drinking at home.

Its against the law to walk around the streets naked but its not against the law to do that at home.

[/quote]

I've worked in the criminal justice system, so I'm skeptical when it comes to alcohol consumption, particularly the "two beers" amount. What do you mean by "around two beers"? Did your friend get intoxicated? Did you supply him with the beer? What did your conscience tell you at the time? At the time did you think what you were doing was a grave sin?

[quote="thistle, post:12, topic:306955"]
I think that means outside the home in public. I don't think the law forbids anyone drinking at home.

Its against the law to walk around the streets naked but its not against the law to do that at home.

[/quote]

In the USA a person is not allowed to give alcohol to minors even in a private residence. In some states the law allows parents or legal guardians to give alcohol to minors.

You're fine. To be honest, the 21 legal drinking age is a joke when compared to European countries. The only reason why it exists is because the Feds threatened to withhold federal road funds from states that didn't adopt 21 as the legal drinking age.

Posted from Catholic.com App for Android

[quote="garn9173, post:15, topic:306955"]
You're fine. To be honest, the 21 legal drinking age is a joke when compared to European countries. The only reason why it exists is because the Feds threatened to withhold federal road funds from states that didn't adopt 21 as the legal drinking age.

[/quote]

Joke or not, it is still the law.

[quote="garn9173, post:15, topic:306955"]

[/quote]

I think that you act like you are ignorant of law, history and statistics. The law is not a joke and you can see that in Europe the number of people killed on the streets because of drunk drivers keeps going up. Second violation of the law is not fine from either a legal point of view or from a Catholic one. Third the motivation of the law has nothing to do with the Federal funding for public roads, the motivation of the law is based on actuarial data like those collected and used to pass laws on seat belt uses. I can see why people have issues with inconsistent approaches toward the legal age of discernment depending upon the specific topic (e.g. serving in the military, use of alcohol, sexual relationships etc.), I am one of those people troubled by inconsistencies. However, laws do not exist only to enforce moral behaviors but they are based also on some utilitarian concepts and there is nothing wrong with that as long as they are not immoral.

[quote="Cristiano, post:17, topic:306955"]
I think that you act like you are ignorant of law, history and statistics. The law is not a joke and you can see that in Europe the number of people killed on the streets because of drunk drivers keeps going up. QUOTE]

That's interesting. What are the statistics? Where did you find them? Have you done a comparison with those in the USA, perhaps as a % of the population?.

[/quote]

[quote="paperwight66, post:18, topic:306955"]

That's interesting. What are the statistics? Where did you find them? Have you done a comparison with those in the USA, perhaps as a % of the population?.

[/quote]

The numbres can be pulled from the websites of the government agencies or even from the press (e.g. The italian portal for epidemiology for public health) I have being following the numbers for Italy and I am really bothered by the trend. I thought that laws like the ones here in the USA were silly because when I was a young man in Italy we never had the big problems like in the USA. However, now when I read the Italian news about the alcohol related traffic deaths on Friday, Saturday and Sunday nights I am shocked. It looks like in Europe one out of four car accidents is caused by alcohol (Cnesps)

We must remember not all laws are just or moral. Laws concerning alcohol are very subject to change. Level of enforcement varies widely.

Try using your God given conscience to decide..start with what was your intent? If your conscience is not fully formed, ask a priest.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.