Can I take part in holy communion?

Hi,
So I was baptized as a baby and did go to church…but i never received confirmation or my first holy communion…or at least i don’t remember and i know that sounds bad, but the quick back story…my parents got divorced…and my father had nothing to do with me. My father was catholic and we went to church every sunday, but i never finished getting my confirmation or anything because my parents divorced. I have gone back to church recently, but never took part in taking the bread n wine because i wasn’t sure i could. I am an adult now, 21 soon to be 22 years old and i would love nothing more than to be able to part take in the tradition. I know what it symbolic of. If I’m not able to take in the holy communion what do i need to do before i can?

If you never received 1st Communion then you should not receive the Eucharist. You would need to enroll in adult classes for the sacraments (usually called RCIA). These classes would help you better understand what the Eucharist and Confirmation are before you receive them.
The Eucharist is not bread and wine. The Eucharist begins as bread and wine but through the Eucharistic Prayer’s words of consecration they become the body, blood, soul, and divinity of Jesus Christ. It is not symbolic but true and real. Only the appearances of bread and wine remain.

For more info please see Catholic Answers: The Real Presence.

God bless.

If you never received 1st Communion then you should not receive the Eucharist. You would need to enroll in adult classes for the sacraments (usually called RCIA). These classes would help you better understand what the Eucharist and Confirmation are before you receive them.
The Eucharist is not bread and wine. The Eucharist begins as bread and wine but through the Eucharistic Prayer’s words of consecration they become the body, blood, soul, and divinity of Jesus Christ. It is not symbolic but true and real. Only the appearances of bread and wine remain.

For more info please see Catholic Answers: The Real Presence.

God bless.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.