Can I transfer back to my original Latin Rite?

Oh the joys of the Indian Reservations of the Uniate Churches…

Nice. “Indian Reservations” and “Uniate” in the same sentence.

An old joke of Fr. Robert Taft’s. And apparently there actually was a Bureau of Indian Affairs which makes the joke even more ironic.

Why can you change only once?

There still is.

Not sure, but it may have something to do with preventing church-shopping and to ensure that mere “preference” was not the prime motivator for changing churches. And I believe the rule applies to any church change, that is from Easter to Latin and vice versa, not just for Latin-to-Eastern changes.

I guess it’s possible for the bishops, maybe with a dispensation from Rome to waive the rule for a serious reason. This is something for the bishops to tackle.

There’s actually more to it than just worshipping in a particular rite. If one did canonically change churches, while he can indeed attend a Roman church on a regular basis, he is still bound to the laws of his own church, which includes things like days of fast (which could be stricter than those of the Latin church), eucharistic fast, days of obligation and marriage.

Well said. :thumbsup:

I’m pretty sure you can only change to another rite only once in a lifetime. There is only one exception I can think of: if a woman enters into a mixed-rite marriage with a man from a rite different then hers, then she has the change to the husband’s rite. However when the husband dies, she has the option to go back to her original rite or stay in her current rite.

I don’t think any of us can say for certain whether Marsha is talking about an official change of enrollment or not. But assuming that she is, some old threads are relevant here, for example

forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?p=859912#post859912

or also:

forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?p=8255640#post8255640

Did you make the formal change of Church from Latin to Ukrainian, in writing and receiving a formal written change of Church from the UGCC bishop which you and witness signed? Or did you become a parishioner in a Ukrainian Church parish and live as a UG Catholic without the formal permission of your bishops?

If you had the formal permission of the bishops then you are under the canons of the UGCC which really is only of concern if you have a wedding or seek ordination in the Latin Church. Only a priest (Latin or other Church) can preside over the wedding of an Eastern Catholic for it to be a valid marriage. In the Latin Church as you know a deacon may preside over a marriage and it will be valid. Any other concerns, fasting, and feasts, etc. can be addressed with a spiritual father.

If you did not go through the formal permission of bishops then you have remained canonically a Latin Church Catholic while in the UGCC parish.

No matter which Church *sui uris *one is formally enrolled in, a Catholic can receive the sacraments in any Catholic Church, other than some issues with weddings and ordination, Many places in the world the option to worship in one’s own Church I]sui uris doesn’t exist due to a lack of the presence of that Church. Latin Church parishes are full of Catholics of another Eastern Catholic Church. Some places there is no Latin Church available and Latin Church Catholics are parishioners in the local ECC.

Another interesting thing is that when a Catholic canonically transfers (again, not to be confused with simply being a parishioner of a parish of a different Church) it is usually from the Latin Church to an EC Church, less frequently the other way around.

I don’t mean to pry, but if your reason is that you miss some of the practices of the Latin Rite, like praying the Rosary, Stations of the Cross, Eucharistic Adoration, etc., please know that there is no reason you can’t continue to do those things. I know a lot of people who are canonically Byzantine Rite but visit Latin Rite churches on a regular basis. Just make sure you follow the rules of your particular Rite with regard to feast/fast days, etc.

Why not just enjoy the freedom to “breathe with both lungs”? :slight_smile:

Because I want to go HOME to my own Latin Rite. As I stated, I did so for the wrong reasons, getting caught up in it for a while. I have applied to return, but I was declined because both sides wanted me to return to novus ordo. No way.

Thank you for your replies. You are all most kind.

Signing off now without return, as this was my only question.

May God be merciful - I cannot walk both ways - no one should, so I go with The True Church in my birth Rite; paper or no paper.

God Bless you all and goodbye.

Ad Jesum per Marjam,

Marsha33

I don’t quite get it. The refusal was because of the Novus Ordo? :confused: Doesn’t make sense. There’s no law that says any Latin has to attend that. There has to have been something else involved.

If you made a mistake, you made a mistake. Of course you can attend the Usus Antiquior whenever you wish, but a canonical problem may arise if and when you wish to marry or feel a calling to a convent.

Hi Marsha, I had hoped you would be back. (Edit: back here to the thread I mean. :))

I can’t be sure I’m reading this correctly, of course, but if I am then I can relate, after a fashion: Many of us having been fighting the latinization/hybridization of EC churches for a long time. :slight_smile:

Yeah, I was puzzled by that too.

With all due respect to the OP, we have no idea what the bishops said in this case.

Certainly it would be well within the role of a bishop to remind any of his flock that the Ordinary Form of the Roman Rite is celebrated universally by the Church, daily by the Pope of Rome, and is due the respect of all Catholics whether they like how it is celebrated in some instances, or not.

Except for an EC woman being free to change her formal enrollment twice if she chooses the Church of her husband during the marriage and then to revert back after the marriage has ended, there is no changing a second time. It is basically unheard of for there to be permission given for any other Eastern Catholic to formally change to the Latin Church.

On this forum people regularly caution people that the EC Churches are not the place to come if you are running from the OF of the Roman Rite. Someone will only be happy in our own flawed EC Churches if he/she feels powerfully drawn to who we are, not what we are not.

If you made a mistake, you made a mistake. Of course you can attend the Usus Antiquior whenever you wish, but a canonical problem may arise if and when you wish to marry or feel a calling to a convent.

We emphasize the role of a spiritual father or spiritual mother in our lives. Ongoing guidance in all this is essential.

No, there is no “Novus Ordo”. There is only the Latin church, which uses the Roman Rite as a general rule and within that Rite there are three legitimate Uses. You do not go back to the “Novus Ordo”. You go back to the Latin church if you want to be subject to its laws. You are free to attend any form you want with the approval of the Church.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.