Can i wear a mantilla with jeans at church

[BIBLEDRB][/BIBLEDRB]can i wear a mantilla with a t shirt and jeans

Sure, you can. I just wouldn't recommend it!

I would...but depends on your parish. I mean seriously, in my old Parish, if I truely wore my Sunday best I would be over dressed compared to everyone else!!!

As long as your tshirt is not completely casual, but more dressy and the same with your jeans...you should be okay.

But remember, it is YOUR decision.

As a self-ordained fashion police officer, I say no! :p To me, mantilla+jeans would be like wearing sneakers with a formal gown. Nothing technically "wrong" with it, but it's a recipe for getting on TLC's "What Not To Wear." ;)

If you want to get into head covering but feel most comfortable in jeans, perhaps you could try something less formal than a mantilla. I've seen super wide headbands that are a "casual head covering," or more casual scarves.

[quote="Augusta_Sans, post:4, topic:220893"]
As a self-ordained fashion police officer, I say no! :p To me, mantilla+jeans would be like wearing sneakers with a formal gown. Nothing technically "wrong" with it, but it's a recipe for getting on TLC's "What Not To Wear." ;)

If you want to get into head covering but feel most comfortable in jeans, perhaps you could try something less formal than a mantilla. I've seen super wide headbands that are a "casual head covering," or more casual scarves.

[/quote]

Yep - what she says. :) Look for a scarf or pashmina to cover with instead of a more formal lace veil. If you absolutely must go to Mass in jeans and a t-shirt, match your head covering to the more casual attire so you don't stick out so much.

It's not about what you cover with - just that you do.

Check out the sub-group here on CAF for women who cover: Veiled in Grace

~Liza

[quote="morgan_kozuch, post:1, topic:220893"]
[BIBLEDRB][/BIBLEDRB]can i wear a mantilla with a t shirt and jeans

[/quote]

Eh, I wouldn't. The T-shirt with jeans is too casual for a mantilla IMO.

I think it'd be OK with jeans as long as you paired it with a nicer shirt. Maybe a nice button down? I'd also say go for a darker wash jean; black or gray, for the formality. :thumbsup:

I personally dont think jeans and t-shirt are proper church clothes. If you have nothing else to wear or a condition that forces you to wear it then it is ok. However, I dont think jeans and t-shirt are good for regular Mass attendance. Would you go in jeans and a t-shirt to your high school graduation or a big job interview or wedding? It just shows how you value the Mass. It shows you understand there is something important about Mass by going every week but that you dont think it is extremely important or dont understand the importance.

Am I saying Sunday best as the norm? Ideally yes but in the world today I think business casual would be fine. Most occasions for wearing suits are very limited these days and business casual is becoming more of what the suit used to be.

I think a mantilla with a jeans and t-shirt is good. It shows that even if the person is dressed casually for church, they are putting in an effort to be modest and realize the beauty of the Mass.

[quote="lizaanne, post:5, topic:220893"]
Yep - what she says. :) Look for a scarf or pashmina to cover with instead of a more formal lace veil. If you absolutely must go to Mass in jeans and a t-shirt, match your head covering to the more casual attire so you don't stick out so much.

It's not about what you cover with - just that you do.

Check out the sub-group here on CAF for women who cover: Veiled in Grace

~Liza

[/quote]

:thumbsup:

Do what God is calling you to! If He is calling you to veil yourself, please listen! If you are more comfortable in jeans, then that is fine. Perhaps one day He will call you to change over to skirts and perhaps He won't. (Really these are just small details when it comes to our faith--- but if something draws you closer to the Lord, then please follow it)

If He is calling you to veil yourself, please listen! If you are more comfortable in jeans, then that is fine.

i respectfully disagree with the premise and the conclusion.

premise: there is nothing inherent in wearing a veil that would confirm a "calling" from God.

conclusion: what one is most comfortable in is not the standard. participation in the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass, the Lord's Supper should inspire one to wear clothing that at least aspires to be appropriately reverent. in our culture, jeans are the reigning uber casual uniform. T-shirts even dress that down.

jeans with anything: mantilla, cape, feather boa or crown does not aspire to be appropriately reverent.

OP, prioritize. wear reverent clothing. add the veil later if you still want.

I cringe at the "wear better clothes then mantilla" because there not about the same thing in some respects. Manilla has to do with traditon, while clothing has always been swayed by modern moods. Habits stick out greatly in today's society, but once they were common wear...which is why some veils are so crazy and out there....they distingushed the nuns from the common folk. Habits were the "jeans and hoodie" of the time...they modeled after the simple clothes worn by the poor. It's only within the last 100 years that common people even have a change of clothing. Head coverings, on the other hand, were always a part of tradition until recently.

I wear my work clothes to Daily Mass (dress pants and nice sweater) M-TH and on Fridays I wear jeans and a hoodie just as I do to work (casual Friday).

I don't dress up, and if I'm forced to I change as soon as possible. I hate dressing up. To me it's more like slavery to fashion than freedom to really be there for God. If you aren't fashionable then you're just frumpy and I don't see how frump is any more pleasing to God than a well-fitting pair of jeans and a nice tee or hoodie.

If you feel headcovering is right for you than do it.

PSunshine, keep cringing:

I don’t dress up, and if I’m forced to I change as soon as possible. I hate dressing up. To me it’s more like slavery to fashion than freedom to really be there for God. If you aren’t fashionable then you’re just frumpy and I don’t see how frump is any more pleasing to God than a well-fitting pair of jeans and a nice tee or hoodie.

this is subjective and speculative.

objectively: The Eucharistic Liturgy, the height of Christian worship and the source and summit of the life of grace is a most special, reverent event.

objectively: one dresses appropriately for activities and events.

objectively: jeans and a t shirt or hoodie are the standard for casual wear.

objectively: women are not mandated to wear veils. veils are not the priority of appropriate dress for women.

Habits were the “jeans and hoodie” of the time…they modeled after the simple clothes worn by the poor.

it is inacurate to deem “jeans and hoodie” the simple clothing of the poor. the poorest women i know wear dresses and skirts. jeans are expensive and the bargain hoodies i just bought for my adult sons for Christmas ran $38 a piece. furthermore, there is NOTHING anti-fashion-slavery about them. they are very MUCH the fashion. casual, yes. but there’s absolutely nothing that would suggest a jeans and hoodie wearer is FREE of fashion slavery.

on the other hand, PSunshine, surely if one is hurrying into Mass on a weekday or work day, one wears whatever he was wearing to work. on our weekday Masses, people come in dressed (as do I) in all manner of work clothes. and today, my husband, who is the maintenece man at a Catholic Church, forgot his dress shirt at home. he will be attending Mass in his jeans and work shirt.

but if he has a choice, he chooses reverent clothing that says, “Mass is different. Mass is special.”

Oh no, here we go again! I was hoping we could get through Advent without another thread on “appropriate” fashion. Everytime there is one on this section or over in Trad, it gets closed after a lengthy and often uncharitable ruckus over women not wearing pants/women wearing pants, personal opinions on modesty/immodesty, lack of understanding of pants in Eastern cultures, head coverings at Church or all the time or none at all…all interspersed with some Scripture taken out of context and plenty of Padre Pio quotes (who was never Pope and therefore was never in a position to speak Ex Cathedra about what constitutes “appropriate fashion”). These things never end in a charitable way:shrug:.

You’re right about that!

The only things I can contribute to this thread are:

1. When you say jeans and a t-shirt, what exactly are you talking about? For instance there’s this:

bp2.blogger.com/_27SX3UpPCoM/SFuZo4Hq3iI/AAAAAAAADoM/kezcxX1qTWQ/s1600-h/tshirt.jpg

and then there’s this:
craftycrafty.tv/shredded-tee2.html

I think it is quite obvious which one would be more appropriate for church. Lesson here: avoid the “distressed” look at all costs.

As for jeans? You can wear jeans tastefully, it’s called dark wash and trouser jeans. Even workplaces allow dark wash trouser jeans, and even Catholic schools have allowed jeans as part of the uniform as long as they were dark and appropriate. As I said before, avoid the distressed look.

Another thing I have noticed with threads of this nature is that everything goes from teaching the gospel in an insightful, loving, and guiding way to one of LAW. It becomes a matter of “you should,” “this is the way IT IS,” to downright “you better…or else.”

I sincerely doubt most people who ask these questions or give answers truly believe that wearing unsuitable clothing for church is okay, or that wearing a mantilla is not okay. Many people have common sense which is exercised in the real world, and they should not be ignored simply because we may see a few people here and there not exercise any at all. Sometimes people don’t realize that what they are wearing isn’t reverent. Sometimes people aren’t given a chance to be pointed at what is reverent versus what is not. And then there is the issue of defining what “reverent” means, as it has different meanings culturally. I know Catholics of Asian ethnicities who do not show up to church in anything but their ethnic traditional clothing; anything else-- in other words, westernized clothing-- would be considered irreverent.

By the way Monicatholic…there are some who would strongly and overwhelmingly disagree with you about the veils not being required…just giving you fair warning in case some of them swoop down onto this thread!

Agreed, so here’s a charitable comment: wear your jeans & mantilla in good health & God bless!:thumbsup:

I may not be a fashion expert, but here's my 2c:

Jeans can definitely be dressed up so as to look smart, however what results is a very modern look. Which is fine, but I think if you're going this route, a more matching accessory might be something like a head scarf.

I've rocked a mantilla with jeans before. I like veils, sometimes I rushed to daily Mass after class, always have a mantilla in my purse so on it went...

That's all I can offer! Wear it if you feel comfortable, don't if you do not.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.