Can I wear the Roman Cassock w/ Collar the 2nd semester of my senior year in high school?

Hello. I am a sophomore and discerning a vocation to the priesthood.

If I am still discerning a vocation, by the time I am a senior, I should of already been accepted into a college seminary the next fall...

The 2nd semester last from Jan - May...

As I was reading another thread, the person wanted to stray away from hollister, aeropostal, etc, but was in college, and I was wondering if this could apply to high school as well?

I want to wear the collar to show that yes, I am not afraid to go into a pack of wolves (my school :p ) and show out that I may be called to serve a deeper calling than the mainstream career pool.

Would I have to get permission from my superior? If so, who is my superior? Parish priest, local bishop, or the seminary rector (The one I am accepted into).

Thank you!

why do you want to pose as someone your not ?:confused:

[quote="JD27076, post:1, topic:317395"]

If I am still discerning a vocation, by the time I am a senior, I should of already been accepted into a college seminary the next fall...

As I was reading another thread, the person wanted to stray away from hollister, aeropostal, etc, but was in college, and I was wondering if this could apply to high school as well?

I want to wear the collar to show that yes, I am not afraid to go into a pack of wolves (my school :p ) and show out that I may be called to serve a deeper calling than the mainstream career pool.

Would I have to get permission from my superior? If so, who is my superior? Parish priest, local bishop, or the seminary rector (The one I am accepted into).

Thank you!

[/quote]

Why do you want to wear something that misrepresents what and who you are. This is clerical garb, not high school attire.

In my diocese the answer would be no to cassok and NO to a non cleric wearing a clerical collar. These things have meaning, they are not there for you to show off to your friends, sorry.

[quote="april32010, post:2, topic:317395"]
why do you want to pose as someone your not ?:confused:

[/quote]

Exactly. :thumbsup:

I understand your desire, but I think it's unnecessary. You can show your vocation to the priesthood by your acts, virtue, and godliness, without trying to have the honors normally given to higher level seminary students and eventually priests. I will pray for you though, brother. We all need it. You will stand out from the "pack" even without the cassock--but with a few more years (well actually several more years ;) ) of discernment you and I can hope to get that too. Be patient, and keep the good faith!

You have good intentions, but Deacon Gary is right. This is clerical garb, and it has a deep meaning behind it. It’s good that you want to portray a message to your classmates, but why do you want to wear the cassock and collar in order to do it? Just tell them that you are discerning. That should be good enough.

With due respect, I would not recommend it. Wearing a Cassock and Roman Collar in any High School, whether public or parochial will do nothing more than bring disrespect upon you and the symbols of the clergy, and, it could very well provoke violence upon your person - if not in school, then after school hours when you are on your way home.
If you are doing this out of a sense of rebellion, there are far better ways of rebelling and not provoking religious disrespect or violence.
If you want to be a martyr, there are far better ways of doing that than provoking disrespect for your religion in school. You might start by setting a good example for your classmates by being the absolutely best student you can. Dress neatly and properly....possibly wear a shirt and necktie....and always be prepared for class and do the best that you can. In addition, never use course language, and always be polite, but never ever act like you are better than your classmates.
That will set you apart from your fellows, and it won't get you beat up.

Thank you!

[/quote]

It is up to your bishop, but I believe in most places seminarians don't wear the cassock and collar until they are instituted as acolytes, which happens in major seminary.

Try wearing all black and a cross, something non-clerical to show your desire for consecration.

I know yo don't intend to come across this way, but I find this disrespectful to the office of the priesthood. The collar is something you EARN after you make special vows with God. I applaud your dedication and commitment - but this is not the appropriate expression of your love for our Lord.

God Bless,
Erin

I can understand and respect your desire. But you must remember those garments are a sign of who/what is wearing it. That would be like me wearing a bear costume around because I like bears or want to work with bears. You’d first think I’m a bit odd.
At your age you have a calling to not just the priesthood, but to evangelize as we all do. Until you have earned the privilege to wear the garments reserved for a priest maybe you can turn that desire to be a priest into a call to lead your fellow teens. THEY NEED YOU! This is a perfect time to use what God is calling you to become and be a shepherd to those around you. You aren’t ready for the rest…just yet. In good time. I think it’s so wonderful you are that ‘ready’ and that excited. But you aren’t totally ready for somethings. Imagine if someone had said they too were ready to respond to God’s Call to the priesthood and therefore they want to pretend to consecrate their lunch at school. You’d be mortified…I think! And you should. While that is a more extreme example it makes a point. When you have done all you must to be a priest, you are ordained, then you can wear the attire fitting of the title. And btw, I love that you specifically want to wear a Cassock. In my PERSONAL opinion that is the most appropriate garment for a Roman Catholic Priest. I pray your journey to priesthood is a joyous and fruitful one. It sounds to me like you are more orthodox than many. Remember (well hopefully things have changed) it is likely that will be a problem for you in seminary too. Stay true to what you believe God wants of you. But that truth must also include waiting for certain things till you have earned the right to them properly. Bless you!!

[quote="Evania, post:6, topic:317395"]
You have good intentions, but Deacon Gary is right. This is clerical garb, and it has a deep meaning behind it. It's good that you want to portray a message to your classmates, but why do you want to wear the cassock and collar in order to do it? Just tell them that you are discerning. That should be good enough.

[/quote]

This.

I watched a segment in the news about this guy who wore garments similar to a Franciscan habit. He did it to simplify his life and for a social experiment to see how people would treat him. He got funny stares when he was out with his wife and children. Wearing a cassock isn't necessarily bad, actors wear them for movies, Keanu Reeves wore one in the Matrix trilogy. Non-Catholic reverends wear clergy shirts. But you, as a practicing Catholic who is not filming a movie, have to ask yourself if you have earned the privilege to wear the cassock and collar. Also since you are not presently attending a seminary your school may consider it a distraction and send you home.

Let me recommend an alternative. Try wearing all black (black shoes, black slacks, black collared shirt) with a white necktie everyday. This will help simplify your life and get you used to wearing the same thing everyday. It will also make you look more professional for school. At the same time people wont find it distracting or offensive. If anyone asks you why you wear the same thing everyday you can explain to them your reasons.

Until you are either at a certain level at seminary or ordained as a priest that honour isn’t available to you yet. If you want to show your Catholicness, you can always wear a rosary or a simple cross around your neck.

[quote="aemcpa, post:8, topic:317395"]
It is up to your bishop, but I believe in most places seminarians don't wear the cassock and collar until they are instituted as acolytes, which happens in major seminary.

[/quote]

My priest friend who is a diocesan priest was given his cassock when he received tonsure. He was only permitted to wear it within the seminary. Traditional priest (ie FSSP) also receive the cassock at tonsure, but they are to wear it at all times after that.

[quote="Deo_Gratias42, post:15, topic:317395"]
My priest friend who is a diocesan priest was given his cassock when he received tonsure.

[/quote]

When was this? In 1972, Paul VI issued the Motu Proprio Ministeria Quaedam, which says, among other things:

First tonsure is no longer conferred; entrance into the clerical state is joined to the diaconate.

These days, in most major seminaries in the U.S., clerical garb tends to be worn in the context of the seminary day (as Deo Gratias has mentioned), although some wear clerics when they're out doing pastoral work.

It is my understanding that, in general, men in minor seminary (college, pre-theology) don't wear clerics (although I've seen cases in which they're permitted to do so at certain diocesan events (such as Liturgies).

Before seminary you aren't allowed to wear the cassock at all;

at best you may wear collar when you are at the Mass under the alb. That's only possibility. In EU in most cases you get cassock after you tonsure. But I understand you believe me :)!

In Prayer with you,
Frater tuus Attempto

[quote="SecretGarden, post:14, topic:317395"]
If you want to show your Catholicness, you can always wear a rosary or a simple cross around your neck.

[/quote]

Brothers and Sisters,
Rosary you should put in your hands and pray and definitely not around you neck. You may wear a cross that's appropriate. :)

Fraternal,
frater Attempto Iacobus

If you are accepted into seminary by the time of your final semester of high school, you should not wear the cassock before entering officially. Do not bother subjecting to unnecessary ridicule by drawing attention to yourself. Keep in mind, though, you can still act like a seminarian. The seminarian is recognized by his character, not so much the attire he wears.

I pray you continue to discern God's will in your life!

Thank you!

[/quote]

1 You have to be accepted as a seminarian by your diocese
2 Depends on the norms of the diocese, some places encourage wearing clerics while others say you have to be a deacon

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.