Can Judas be forgiven?

Hi

anyone know if Judas can be forgiven, if god knew before Jesus was burn that he would betray and lead to his death then wasn’t it out of control for the situation to change, if jesus didn’t die then we wouldnt be saved?

then he went and killed himself and that’s a issue on itself, but god is all loving, does he forgive him?

Hello Mar044,
Though God knows the future free actions of human beings, his knowledge of them doesn’t mean that the future free actions of human beings are not free. God simply knows, by one act of his intellect, the whole of human history.

Unless Judas was repentent before he died, he will not be forgiven after he died. Scripture says “Just as it is appointed that human beings die once, and after this the judgment” (Hebrews 9: 27). And again here "For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ, so that each one may receive recompense, according to what he did in the body, whether good or evil. ( 2 Corinthians 5: 10). When we die, we are judged according to what we have done while living on earth.

Jesus would have forgiven Judas if Judas had asked for it. Apparently, Judas did not ask for forgiveness. He went and hung himself instead. Although we cannot be certain where Judas is presently, that is: hell, purgatory, or heaven; his salvation doesn’t look good as Christ said " The Son of Man indeed goes, as it is written of him, but woe to that man by whom the Son of Man is betrayed. It would be better for that man if he had never been born.” ( Matthew 26: 24). If Judas is in hell, it is because he has a bad heart, he doesn’t love Jesus.

Even if Judas hadn’t betrayed Jesus, Jesus very well may have still been arrested by the Jewish authorities at some time or another as they were looking for an opportunity to arrest and kill him. The fact of the matter is though, Judas betrayed Jesus and led the authorities to him the night before he was crucified.

I’ve often wondered if his tossing aside the money was a sign that he recognized what he had done was wrong, and hoped to repent for it. Part of hopes he did because, one, I don’t wish Hell on anyone, and two, I’d like, after my death, to ask him what drove him to betray Christ.

This about sums it up. As humans we can’t know . There are some special difficulties with Judas though. As mentioned he committed suicide, out of shame and anguish, prior to any show of remorse to Jesus in persona. There is no mention of him praying to God for forgiveness. Then you look at other more subtle evidence. Christ refers to Judas as a demon or devil a few times well before his passion. On the night of his arrest, he pulled Peter aside, and told Peter that “I have prayed for you”, pointing out that Peter will in fact deny him, and that the apostles will scatter, etc., but he has prayed for Peter’s forgiveness before the event ever taking place. He does not tell Judas the same thing. He does not “pre-forgive” Judas, as he does Peter. All he tells Judas, is “what you must do, do quickly”. He tells John and Peter who the scoundrel his.

Judas chances don’t look so good. He appears to be unrepentent sinner unto death. The only place that doubt creeps in for me is the fact that his suicide may have been triggered by shame, sorrow, and well, remorse. Suicide is an abomination to God, unless the person is mad. Was Judas possessed by a demon? Was he freed of the demon after his deed, and then subject to the weight of the guilt, sorrow and remorse of what he had done? Will God’s infinite mercy take all this into account? Will Jesus accuse him to the Father, or will he plea to the father for leniency due to possession? Does Judas WANT forgiveness, or was his suicide an indication that he himself doesn’t feel worthy of the forgiveness of God, and he has sentenced himself to hell? They say that we choose hell. Very interesting questions, but frankly, not ones we can answer as mortals. We see through a glass darkly, but then face to face.

God could have forgiven him if he had sincerely repented. But by committing suicide I think he showed that he didn’t believe this or that he had faith in God so was unlikely able to repent sincerely. Many think that they can live their lives contrary to God’s will and then at the last moments of life be saved by barking out an “Im sorry” but this won’t be sincere and in fact is the sin of presumption.

Now is the time of mercy, once we die comes the time of justice.

God can and will forgive any sin. But not if we don’t let Him. He doesn’t force his forgiveness on those who do not wish to accept it.

Judas and Peter both betrayed Christ. They both recognized what they did was wrong. Judas despaired and killed himself. Peter repented, professed his love for Christ and eventually died for Christ. That is basically the two responses we can have towards our own sins. Will we turn our back to God? Or will we turn back to God?

of course Judas is forgiven, for Jesus’ words says so…

He says that all you 12 apostles of mine would in the world to come head the 12 tribes of israel…this is my personal view…

one must also bear in mind that we also on innumerable occasions betrayed Jesus when we sinned gravely and are judas’ !

Judas abandoned everything Jesus is. After his realization he felt his transgression (sin) was unforgivable and no amount of sacrifice to God could be sufficient to make things right.

Jesus did forgive sins but at that time no one came to Him asking for forgiveness, just healing for themselves or others

He may have had a moment before his suicide where he did cry out for mercy, we don’t know.

That’s not quite correct.

This promise was made before Judas betrayed Jesus.

And let’s also remember that in the Acts of the Apostles, St. Peter, applying Psalms 69 (68) and 109 (108) to Judas, clearly says that his office as an Apostle is to be taken by another, and that his tent is to be left desolate.

This clearly means that the new twelfth Apostle (Matthias) will now inherit the promise of
“judging a tribe of Israel” instead of Judas, who has forfeited it by his actions.

Also, John 17:12 is often interpreted as meaning that Judas was, indeed, damned.

I personally know three people who took their own lives, two by gun, one by hanging. Neither I nor anyone else can judge these people. We just don’t know but we pray that everyone will be saved. We never know the weight that Jesus gives to extenuating circumstances. For example, I don’t think a person in their right mind would ever take their own life. So for me, that would be an extenuating circumstance. Another factor would be the real condition of their souls in matters other than the suicide. I’m glad we have Jesus to make those judgements and may His mercy be greater than His justice. :thumbsup:

My view is that Judas is in Hell. My evidence for this is:

Our Lord refers to him as the son of perdition and said of Judas that it would be better for him (Judas) had he never been born.

Satan entered into Judas. Satan cannot enter into one who is truly close to the Lord, either in person as Judas was or to the Holy Spirit as we can be. This is a choice we make freely. Satan would only have been able to enter into Judas had he been in a state of serious or as the Church terms it, mortal sin. It is likely that Judas was deep in sin and this was the opening for Satan to enter him. Judas welcomed Satan in with open arms, which by the way is what we do whenever we persist in serious sin and turn away from Christ. Satan requires our co-operation and assent. He cannot force us. Satan remember is a legalist and is subject to authority; he cannot just do what he wishes as he has to play by the rules of the game so to speak. Judas therefore freely chose to betray Jesus in the most grave manner.

Judas was in charge of the finances of Jesus and the Apostles. Yet he was a thief who regularly embezzled these monies for his own use. So in effect he was already by his actions - stealing money that was intended to be used to further the Kingdom of God - seeking to frustrate, undermine and block Our Blessed Lord’s work/mission.

Judas committed suicide. Had he wanted Our Lord’s forgiveness he could even then have sought it but he did not. This is again another rejection by Judas of Christ’s/God’s mercy. We can serve either Christ or Satan. Our Lord warned us that a man cannot serve two masters at once. We must make a choice.

We can never know for sure where Judas is now and for eternity but I would imagine he is in Hell for he chose Satan. It is a tragedy whenever anyone goes to Hell so I say this with no satisfaction.

The brtrayal by Judas and the denial by Peter are very similar acts. Both Judas & Peter show repentance, yet it was only Peter who was able to accept the forgiveness that was readily available. Maybe Judas believed his sin to be greater than Jesus’ love, and fell into dispair, unable to believe his sin could be forgiven. Clearly, Scripture portrays the contrast between these two sinners as an example to us, to teach us that no matter how we deny / betray Jesus we can be forgiven, but judging Jesus by our standards leads to death & destruction.

if you happened to have been chosen by Jesus as the Apostle Judas, what would have you done in a similiar position?

had Judas not betrayed Jesus, God’s plan for Redemption of mankind would have failed totally… which means you and i could never have been saved…so should one man be sacrificed for the salvation of all others?..then
the mercy of God is meaningless!..although Jesus says: ‘MY MERCY IS LIMITLESS AND INDEFATIGABLE’

i think Judas in great sorrow, lost control of his mind, in which case he is innocent!

also just one moment before his end, he could have cried out to his Master for forgiveness… how do you or peter or paul know for a certainty, that it was impossible for Judas to have cried out for mercy or it is impossible for God-incarnate to grant him forgiveness???

there is a school of thought that believes or states, that Judas betrayed Jesus just once, but you and I have or would have betrayed Jesus 70 times 7!.. or whatever…

It may’ve been simple greed or even other reasons, not necessarily trying to subvert the mission.

In Acts 1, the apostles are casting the lot for the one who would fill Judas’ slot. They knew the prophecies about Judas’ end and though ominous, the prophesies didn’t sound favorable. Here’s the way they put it when they prayed:

“You, Lord, who know the hearts of all, show which one of these two you have chosen to take the place in this ministry and apostleship from which Judas turned aside to go to his own place.”

Judas acc. to some sources, knew more than any other that Jesus is the son of God…

he perhaps believed that no one could over- power Jesus or get rid of him, notwithstanding his betrayal of Jesus into their hands…

however like every other human being, he just could not comprehend the PLAN OF GOD for the Redemption of humanity from the sins of adam & eve…

none of his apostles were able to understand how Jesus could be the Lord, and yet fail to establish his political or earthly kingdom …they never understood that Jesus acc. to his Father’s plan had to submit to it or obey it, in order that he establish his spiritual or heavenly kingdom at the final judgement…

Judas did not HAVE to betray Our Lord. He CHOSE to. Even in the closing hours Our Lord offered him one last chance to change course by offering him the sop first, before any of the other disciples. Judas was not some pre-programmed robot without free will. He had free will. If Judas had changed course I am certain that God in his divine wisdom and providence would have seen to it that the mission was still accomplished albeit in a slightly different way.

God deals with us all in the same way as he did Judas. When we stray from the narrow path God never fails to beckon us back. We are given countless chances thanks to God’s boundless mercy and patience and love. God plays his part, however we must respond. So it was with Jesus and Judas. We are told in the Gospels that Judas was especially beloved of Jesus. Why was this? Why was a thief, a liar, a sneak so loved by our Blessed Lord? It was precisely because he was all of those things that Our Lord was especially close to Judas. Was it Our Lord’s pity for the sinner? Was it Our Lord’s determination that Judas’ close proximity to the Lord would enable him to better combat his sins - he who needed so much more help than the others? Jesus knew Judas’ heart, mind and soul and did everything possible to save him.

By embezzling the monies intended for the mission, Judas was in effect frustrating the mission, whether he intended to or not? The point is that Judas placed his will before that of God. His greed meant less funds for the poor, the sick, the hungry. Did the lack of funds curtail the preaching of the Gospel. In other words, are there places and people it could have reached but didn’t due to the insufficiency of funds on a given day that prevented Jesus and the disciples travelling as they wished to? All because of a thief within the ranks.

Yet Judas persisted in his sin. Despite taking the sop from Our Lord’s hand he went out into the darkness to hand him over.

Judas felt fear and terror for himself after the act, hence his vain attempt to undo his actions. Again it was the fear of the self-absorbed of the consequences; what will become of me? It was self pity.

It was not genuine remorse or repentance.

I believe in God’s absolute mercy, love, forgiveness but also his Justice.

If Judas were saved how do you account for him being described by Jesus in the Gospels as the Son of Perdition, that devil, for whom it would have been better had he never been born?

The lesson applies to every one of us. Which one of us is Judas? He was one of the 12, indistinguishable on the outside from the others. What are we doing to prevent the spread of the Gospel? What are we doing to frustrate the building up of the Kingdom? What are we taking from the Lord that is rightfully his?

When push comes to shove would we be prepared to betray Our Lord with a kiss? None of us knows; all we can do is pray, stay close to the Lord and beg for God’s mercy that we would die rather than betray Our Blessed Lord.

the Mercy of Jesus Christ supercedes the Justice of God!

in order to satisfy that JUSTICE, GOD sent his only son, to die the shameful death on the cross, to save ALL men & women, and Redemption is total…

THE Justice of God has been satisfied in its totality…

no one can argue or explain that what he understands is exactly the mind of JESUS!

how is it possible to understand in your limited mind, the INFINITE WISDOM of God?

in the case of the woman accused of adultery, the whole world convicted her according to the Law of Moses, the primary Bible of their day, and there was no possibility of Jesus failing to stone her, but yet how He explained/interpreted the Spirit of the Law, without violating it, and set FREE a sinner, who was no greater a sinner than those who JUDGED her to be one…that was WISDOM OF GOD!..“let the one amongst you who is without sin, cast the first stone”…

JUDGE NOT THAT YOU WILL NOT BE JUDGED!

IF YOU DO NOT FORGIVE THE SINS OF OTHERS GOD WILL NOT FORGIVE YOUR SINS!..

FORGIVE US OUR SINS AS WE FORGIVE THE SINS OF OTHERS…(Our Father)

I had heard that Judas expected a different kind of Messiah, one that would destroy the Romans and raise up the Kingdom at his coming. As we know, the Lord will triumph indeed, but perhaps He did not meet Judas’s expectations. Judas despaired and killed himself.

My hopes are that he did repent before death. I have come to the verge of suicide, and I can tell you, it is not a comfortable state of mind, and it is most certainly not very willing. I cried to God for relief for years, but nothing came. Had I not been so afraid of Hell (a place more miserable than the world was hard for me to imagine), I would have done it.

I say this because I try to put myself in Judas’s position. He betrayed (not only denied, but actually offered up for torture and death) the Lord. If he didn’t believe that Christ was the Messiah, then he still offered a friend and teacher up for gruesome death. In despair, from my experience, even crying out to God may not lift it. It might not do a thing (that we can feel). He may not have realized that Christ was going to rise (the others didn’t seem to). He thought it was over. He didn’t think of seeking forgiveness, perhaps because He thought Christ was doomed to die, and that was it.

I hope that Judas was saved. I truly do. Christ doesn’t speak well of him, though, and although I have hope for those who commit suicide, Judas was a special case. It really does no good to wonder about judgement. It will only drive us mad and cause us to doubt God’s mercy. We need only do our best to abide in Christ and be obedient to His Church, and trust in Him. Wondering about God’s job will gain us nothing.

My hopes are that he did repent before death.

1. “When Judas learned that Jesus had been condemned, he REPENTED and took back the 30 silver coins to the chief priests and elders. ‘I have SINNED by betraying an INNOCENT man to DEATH!’ HE SAID.” – Mat 27: 3-4

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I say this because I try to put myself in Judas’s position. He betrayed (not only denied, but actually offered up for torture and death) the Lord. If he didn’t believe that Christ was the Messiah, then he still offered a friend and teacher up for gruesome death. In despair, from my experience, even crying out to God may not lift it. It might not do a thing (that we can feel). He may not have realized that Christ was going to rise (the others didn’t seem to). He thought it was over. He didn’t think of seeking forgiveness, perhaps because He thought Christ was doomed to die, and that was it.

1. “When Judas learned that Jesus had been condemned, he REPENTED and took back the 30 silver coins to the chief priests and elders. ‘I have SINNED by betraying an INNOCENT man to DEATH!’ HE SAID.” – Mat 27: 3-4

Knowing that JESUS was omnipotent, Judas knew/believed that Jesus would save himself from anyone…that is what OMNIPOTENT means!..surely he had no idea as to Jesus’ sufferring, passion and death, which only GOD knew!

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I hope that Judas was saved. I truly do. Christ doesn’t speak well of him, though, and although I have hope for those who commit suicide, Judas was a special case. It really does no good to wonder about judgement. It will only drive us mad and cause us to doubt God’s mercy. We need only do our best to abide in Christ and be obedient to His Church, and trust in Him. Wondering about God’s job will gain us nothing.

3.“When Judas learned that Jesus had been condemned, he REPENTED and took back the 30 silver coins to the chief priests and elders. ‘I have SINNED by betraying an INNOCENT man to DEATH!’ HE SAID.” – Mat 27: 3-4

I believe that Judas has been saved to validate Jesus’ own words (eternal), that all the 12 apostles he had meticulously chosen, would rule the 12 tribes in Heaven…ref. scripture for actual wording…

'IN THE BEGINNING THE WORD ALREADY EXISTED; THE WORD WAS WITH GOD, AND THE WORD WAS GOD. FROM THE VERY BEGINNING THE WORD WAS WITH GOD…THE WORD WAS THE SOURCE OF LIFE…THE WORD WAS IN THE WORLD …YET THE WORLD DID NOT RECOGNIZE HIM…

THE WORD BECAME A HUMAN BEING AND, FULL OF GRACE AND TRUTH, LIVED AMONG US…BUT GRACE AND TRUTH CAME THROUGH JESUS CHRIST."

The Word of God is Jesus Christ himself and is eternal and omnipotent!

“TRUTH IS OFTEN ECLIPSED, BUT IT IS NEVER EXTINGUISHED” - Livy
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.