Can JW's and Mormons knock on my door.

I live in an upperclass neighborhood, and we have signs at all the beginning of our neighborhoods, saying no solicitation allowed. How come Mormons and JWs come to my door and solicate there religion?

It has been decided by the courts that “no soliciting” does not apply to any religious group who goes door-to-door talking about their religious faith.

Freedom of speech, freedom of religion, and freedom to approach others with a religious message is all part of the law of the land.

No Tresspassing is another matter. JW’s are specifically told by the WTS to not go where there is a “no tresspassing” sign.

Thanks Steve I was not aware of that. I was wondering the same thing as the OP.

why do you want them over? for you to be converted? are you thinking of leaving the faith?

I think he was asking why they can still come despite the “No Solicitation” warning.

Besides, I would welcome JW and Mormons. I have had some interesting debates and hope that I have planted a few seeds.

just curious

i’d prefer they didn’t come to the door cause when they do, alot of times they talk to my little brother and try to convert him. no i dont want to leave the faith.

Ever wonder what happens when the Mormons knock on the Jehovah’s Witness’ door?

Smiling, but “deer in the headlight” looks comes to mind.

good to know hc

Anyone who knocks on my door with a religious message gets treated with kindness, respect, and tact.

Whatever I’m doing, I will stop and listen carefully to their message. I’ll politely ask them why they believe as they do and if they’ve always held that belief.

I will then politely ask them to respond to a few FAQ’s or criticisms that are often asked about their religion.

Once I’ve given them the courtesy of listening to their message,
I will then ask them what they understand about my religion. We’ll mutually go over a few points and share a few scriptures.

I will thank them for showing enough love of neighbor to take their time to do such a difficult work and we’ll part having had a nice, polite conversation.

I believe that how a person reacts to someone who comes to their door really shows who they are inside.

:clapping::tiphat:

Exactly what we are supposed to do! :thumbsup:

When they come to my door, I tell them I am Catholic. That pretty much ends any discussion.

It’s possible that if you tell them not to return, that they will not. If they keep track of addresses visited, they may leave you alone if you ask them to. Just a thought…

I live in an area where “religious groups” who go door to door are required to get a license, permit to do such as a safe guard to protect residents. That too was upheld by the courts. So, if you don’t want them on your doorstep, bluff them and ask them for their permit.

This issue was recently taken to the Supreme Court where the court ruled in favor of JW’s.

“In a more recent case, Jehovah’s Witnesses refused to get government permits to solicit door-to-door in Stratton, Ohio. In 2002, the case was heard in the U.S. Supreme Court (Watchtower Bible and Tract Society v. Village of Stratton — 536 U.S. 150 (2002)). The Court ruled in favor of the Jehovah’s Witnesses, holding that making it a misdemeanor to engage in door-to-door advocacy without first registering with the mayor and receiving a permit violate the First Amendment as it applies to religious proselytizing, anonymous political speech, and the distribution of handbills.”

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supreme_Court_cases_involving_Jehovah’s_Witnesses

And Saint Benedict would agree with you. :love:

I personally know of Witnesses who repeatedly made back-calls on people who made it clear that they were not interested in pursuing study with the JWs. They wouldn’t leave those people alone. This was during the WTS-generated hysteria about the End coming around the mid 1970s and took place in 1974.
The same JWs went to the same people’s house, over and over again even though the householder was clear that they weren’t interested. Go figure.

Still, even though I am an exJW, I don’t believe in being rude to them when they come to the door. I am polite and courteous, but I inform them that I am Catholic and have no intention of ever converting to anything else.
I don’t tell them I am an exJW, because I regard it as none of their business.

Jaypeeto4
+JMJ+

It’s truly a bizarre experience to have someone scream at you at the top of their lungs: “I’m a Christian!!!, and get the $!@#$ out of here”, while they turn their hose on you, throw boiling water out the 2nd story window on you, sick their dogs on you, or point a gun at you.

Our local Catholic store sells signs that read something along the lines of “This is a Catholic Household. Literature from other religions is not requested or desired”.

I don’t know how well it works, but maybe that would help if you could find one.

Hi
I don’t understand as to why my Catholic friends get so upset talking with a JW or a Mormon. Please study your faith/religion to make you firm on it and then talk fearlessly to them. At the most, what would happen , either you would convince them on the truth or they would; where does the fear come around?

I am unable to understand!

Thanks

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.