Can Low Mass Still Be Sung In Monotone?

Hello. :) In the Middle Ages, Low Mass was sung in monotone. The custom of singing Low Mass in monotone died out in France in the 18th century. Can a Low Mass still be sung in monotone, or does it have to be spoken?

God bless you for answering my question. :blessyou:

[quote="bben15, post:1, topic:341834"]
Hello. :) In the Middle Ages, Low Mass was sung in monotone. The custom of singing Low Mass in monotone died out in France in the 18th century. Can a Low Mass still be sung in monotone, or does it have to be spoken?

God bless you for answering my question. :blessyou:

[/quote]

Seems to me you can put six (or four) candles on the altar and have a Missa Cantata. Cantus doesn't exclude monotone singing, AFAIK. There are singers who are tone-challenged. ;)

[quote="ProVobis, post:2, topic:341834"]
Seems to me you can put six (or four) candles on the altar and have a Missa Cantata. Cantus doesn't exclude monotone singing, AFAIK. There are singers who are tone-challenged. ;)

[/quote]

A priest can't celebrate a Missa Cantata by himself, so it wouldn't be the same. ;)

If someone isn't able to answer my question, I'll post this on the apologist section.

I am pretty sure Low Mass's real name is Missa Lecta, read Mass.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.