Can Lutherns receive the Eucharist in a catholic church

Its my understanding that Lutherns beleive in the real presence, the Eucharist. Can they recieve at our Catholic Mass?

No. They are not baptised into the Catholic faith and have not received the Sacrament of Holy Communion. Also, they do not believe in transubstantiation (that it becomes only the body and blood of Christ) but consubstantiation in which the body and blood of Christ are present but so are elements of the bread and wine.

Canon law allows only in the rarest of circumstances for a non-catholic to recieve the Eucharist. In 99.99 percent of the cases the answer would be no. To recieve the Eucharist is not only partaking of Christ but assenting to communion with the Catholic Church. One is to agree with it’s doctrines and submit to the local bishop and the bishop of Rome to recieve our Lord as well. Also one is to go to the sacrament of confession and have all of his sins removed.

“Lutherns” are southern Lutherans, right?

Just being funny since I am a Texan, pawdnah.

[quote=Windmill]“Lutherns” are southern Lutherans, right?

[/quote]

:rotfl:I hope this is as funny for people outside of Texas as it is for people inside… :rotfl:

No. First off, the belief in the Real Presence does not correspond directly with the Catholic understanding. They refer to it as “consubstantiation” (meaning, I believe, that the bread and wine remain but are “with” Jesus—which doesn’t make much sense, as our Lord did not say, “This is my Body and bread”), and also there is some variation among Lutherans even regarding that.

Also, Communion is just that: communion. By partaking in the Eucharist, you are also making a statement of faith: “I believe what the Catholic Church teaches”. Since Lutherans obviously don’t, for them to receive the Eucharist would be for them to be lying—which I’m sure they would not want to do.

NO, not unless they want to face God’s wrath.
Those who receive the Body and Blood of Christ unworthily drink judgement upon themselves. :crying:

IF they want Communion in a Catholic church, they must become Catholic. Same goes for any other non-Catholic.

One of the most disgusting things I ever saw was, Billy Bob Clinton receiving communion on nation wide TV… I almost gagged !! ! :banghead:

[quote=CatMan]Its my understanding that Lutherns beleive in the real presence, the Eucharist. Can they recieve at our Catholic Mass?
[/quote]

1. The Lutheran Churches I belonged to thought the wine and bread only REPRESENTED Christ’s Body and Blood.

2. You must be a Confirmed Catholic to participate in Communion.

So…NOPE.

[quote=Donna P]2. You must be a Confirmed Catholic to participate in Communion.

[/quote]

This is not exactly true as First Eucharist is before Confirmation in most of the Roman Catholic Dioceses in North America. I am unsure about the rest of the world.

Hi Cat,

No matter what Lutherans believe about the Eucharist, they do not have apostolic succession and valid Orders. Christ is never present on their altars. We allow Orthodox faithful to receive in Catholic Churches because they have kept apostolic succession. If we participated in their Eucharist we too would receive the true Body and Blood of Christ.

Admitting Lutherans to the Catholic Eucharist would imply that we can participate validly in Lutheran Eucharist, receiving the true Body and Blood of Christ. This is not the case.

Verbum

[quote=Windmill]“Lutherns” are southern Lutherans, right?

[/quote]

I just got back from visiting the Alamo, Six Flags Fiesta, Sea World, Natural Bridge Cave and the animal park, Riverwalk and the SCHLITTERBAHN. We also ate at Texas’ worst BBQ store, RUDY’s outside San Antonio. (For U Texans, ‘ate’ means ‘at’.:wink: )

Except for the Alamo which was a BIG DISAPOINTMENT:sleep:, we had a GREAT time!:love:

So to put the EGO problem to rest with Texas, what would happen to Texas if you divided Alaska in half?

Give up?

Texas would become the THIRD largest state!:rotfl:

OH yeah, NO! Lutherans should not get the Eucharist without the consent of Christs body, His Catholic Church.

Go OU!

Why the slam on Texans? I was trying to be funny, that’s all.

Rich

To the OP, no, Lutherans are not in communion with the Church, no matter what they believe about the Eucharist.

To Malachi, here’s one Texan who didn’t appreciate the humor.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.