Can Man fall again after the Last Judgment?

Before the fall, Adam and Eve were immortal and therefore meant to live forever in physical bodies.

After the fall, physical death leads the souls to heaven, purgatory, or hell.

At the second coming, the souls destined for heaven are reunited with their resurrected, glorified bodies.

Would the glorified bodies be in the same state as the bodies Adam and Eve possessed before the fall?

Adam and Eve had free will and chose to sin. Because of their human nature, however, redemption was possible (as opposed to Satan whose redemption was not).

If the souls reunited with their glorified bodies merely restore them to the same state Adam and Eve were before the fall, and assuming free will continues to exist, can humans choose to sin again?

If the souls reunited with their glorified bodies advance them to a nature beyond Adam and Eve before the fall, then Adam and Eve were meant to evolve beyond their immortal bodies to something even better, whose process was interrupted by original sin?

After the final judgement, those who are admitted to the Beatific Vision will be a in a state of existence unknown to Adam and Eve – they will be united with God. I don’t see how they could possibly err in judgement or desire if their souls’ every desire has been fulfilled by achieving this ultimate destiny.

Peace,
Dante

I wonder too, as Satan was also an angel who was exposed to God in all His splendor and he fell. Though perhaps the substance of angels makes them different from human being.

Perhaps just as God did for Mary, we too may be filled with grace through God’s beatific vision to keep us from making that mistake again.

Still it’s an interesting question… But if God has declared that we’ll live happily ever after in the end, then I can trust that we will not fall again thanks to Him.

I read somewhere (I don’t remember where) that the angels would likely have been given their choice before they were admitted to the Beatific Vision – in other words, that they had to declare their faith and loyalty before the got into Heaven Proper. The reasoning behind this would be the same as it is in our case: how could any imperfect created intellect choose other-than-God when united with God? Even the angels’ every desire is fulfilled in God’s presence.

Peace,
Dante

No, after the last jugement man cannot fall again becuse when you see God face to face you cannot but love Him. Error and sin becomes impossible because seeing is believing and sin is seen as it really is, the most evil there is.

Adam and Eve dwelled with God and chose to sin. They saw God face to face and yet chose to sin. If after the Last Judgment we are merely restored to the nature of Adam and Eve before the fall, then logically there is nothing to prevent man from choosing to sin again. The fact that we will not choose to sin again after the Last Judgment leads me to speculate that Adam and Eve as created were not the final manifestation of the human being, but were meant to become something different – something having a nature that either cannot choose sin, or once chosen not to sin, cannot change the choice or the consequence of the choice.

simple answer: no.

Prior to the fall of Man, Adam and Eve did indeed see God but they didn’t see him in HIS FULL GLORY.

Prior to the fall of the Devil and his demons, they didn’t see God in HIS FULL GLORY.

I’m not sure if Jesus appeared in HIS FULL GLORY at the Transfiguration but he certainly did appear more “Divine” than what he would normally would.

Adam and Eve were not in heaven and they had free will. So they were able to fall and did fall.

After death, humans in a state of grace will go to heaven. They will be in perfect union with God. Their will will be God’s will, and so, no, they can not choose to sin again. There is no sin in heaven.

BTW, I don’t think it is taught anywhere that Adam and Eve in the Garden of Eden were in a glorified state. They were, however, humans in a state of grace (before the fall).

There is no way we can know what was “meant” to happen. But it is an interesting question: are we better off now (assuming we die in a state of grace) than we would have been had there been no original sin – because now we have the chance to obtain the Beautific Vision, whereas Adam and Even had no chance. Perhaps that is why the Church says,
"O happy fault, O necessary sin of Adam,
Which gained for us so great a Redeemer!"

In Christ we aren’t merely restored to a prelapsarian state. Psalm 8, vs. 5 and Hebrews 2, vs. 7 both tell us that Man was created a little lower than the angels. But Scripture tells us that now in Christ we are higher than the angels (1 Cor. 6:3); those in Christ are thusly placed by His grace higher than our state before the Fall. St. Paul writes: If by one man’s offence death reigned by one [that is, Adam], much more they which receive abundance of Grace and of the gift of righteousness shall reign by one, Jesus Christ (Rom. 5:17).

The Catechism of the Catholic Church speaks of this higher state:

412 But why did God not prevent the first man from sinning? St. Leo the Great responds, "Christ’s inexpressible grace gave us blessings better than those the demon’s envy had taken away."307 And St. Thomas Aquinas wrote, “There is nothing to prevent human nature’s being raised up to something greater, even after sin; God permits evil in order to draw forth some greater good. Thus St. Paul says, ‘Where sin increased, grace abounded all the more’; and the Exsultet sings, ‘O happy fault,. . . which gained for us so great a Redeemer!’”

I suspect that this is part of the explanation for the problem of evil. After the revolt of the bad angels, God didn’t want to make the same mistake again. So how do you give someone free will, which surely they must have in heaven, whilst simultaneously makign sure that they do what you want? It’s a toughy, but maybe the answer is that first you put them through an Earthly life.

That makes sense to me. Adam and Eve were subjected to a test of faith shortly after their creation, as did the angels. Those who chose God entered into full union with Him. The angels who did not became the devil and his cohorts. Had Adam and Eve chosen not to sin and thus passed the test of faith, they would have been admitted into the full glory of God. Since God instructed Adam and Eve to be fruitful and multiply, and children did not come before the Fall, I surmise the test of faith came almost immediately after Man was created (if they were created as fully grown adults) or before Eve was fertile (if they were created by infusion of a soul into homo sapien embryos).

The grace of the redemption wrought by Christ is greater than the grace enjoined by Adam and Eve in the terrestial paradise.
We are going to share in the very life of God.

Simply put, after the Final Judgment, there will be no external temptation to sin. And since our souls will be pure, there will be no internal temptation, either. We will not even have free will (as we know it). We will be perfectly united with God’s will, and thus, perfectly happy.

I agree with the others. After Final Judgment Day, those who remain faithful in Christ will be rewarded in heaven. Remember Jesus said that we will be with** Him forever**.

Jesus’ Kingdom is without End. That just give you an idea that mankind will not fall after His final judgment.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.