Can Mary be viewed as Mediatrix of the Holy spirit?

I was reading an article on Mariology and read about the visitation of Mary to Elizabeth and i can not help but think Mary being used here by God as a Mediatrix of the Holy spirit well tell me what you think? Here is part of the article.

oce.catholic.com/index.php?title=Mary%2C_The_Blessed_Virgin#A._Mary_in_the_Gospels

“And it came to pass that, when Elizabeth heard the salutation of Mary, the infant leaped in her womb.” It was at this moment that God fulfilled the promise made by the angel to Zachary (Luke, i, 15), “and he shall be filled with the Holy Ghost, even from his mother’s womb”; in other words, the infant in Elizabeth’s womb was cleansed from the stain of original sin. The fullness of the Holy Ghost in the infant overflowed, as it were, into the soul of his mother: “and Elizabeth was filled with the Holy Ghost” (Luke, i, 41). Thus both child and mother were sanctified by the presence of Mary and the Word Incarnate "

Mary’s role as Mediatrix is solely to assist Christ in His role as the one Mediator. So she does not mediate by herself at all. She totally immerses herself in the work of Christ for our salvation, including his role as Redeemer, Mediator, Advocate.

She is the Mediatrix of all graces, except those graces that flow from the Divine Nature of Christ to His human nature within the hypostatic union, and except for the graces that she herself receives.

The Holy Spirit is present and working in all cases where human persons (or angelic persons) receive grace.

How do you explain I Timothy 2:5 For there is one God and one Mediator between God and men, The man Christ Jesus.

Mary has no role of mediation at all. As Mediatrix, her role is nothing other than to immerse herself in the role of Christ as the one Mediator, and to assist Him in all that He does as Mediator. She is a helper to Christ as Eve was a helper to Adam. But the modern distortions of women’s roles has creeped into Mariology, making Mary as if she had her own nearly equal role as redeemer, mediator, advocate. Instead, she has no such roles of her own, but only immerses herself in Christ.

John 15. The little branch of the Vine is, 100% still the Vine. St. Paul confirms this many times (e.g. “I die daily” )

The Apostles did in fact work miracles, and save people. To use Mary, and the Apostles, and saints, and the mystical body of Christ, for the salvation of souls is the Will of God.

God is One, and His agency is spread across the world by the True Vine, Jesus Christ, who, by the power of the Holy Spirit is working in all the branches, and leaves.

While I agree with your previous post, ( the one before this one), I don’t fully agree with the above.

Mary’s role has always been held in very high regard, and in some sense, “nearly equal”.

I must be very careful in my answer, because the Blessed Mother herself would never consider herself equal to God.

But one must ask, " how does God see Mary?

Her agency as intercessor, is topmost of all saints, and she has a very special position in salvation history. So much so, that certain revelations of our salvation can only be seen and comprehended through her.

His Holiness, Pope John Paul II, provides for us, in these contemporary times, a very clear teaching. In fact, in my humble opinion, the most important teaching we have on Mary.

All Catholics need to read, meditate on, and contemplate the contents of :

[/INDENT]**ROSARIUM VIRGINIS MARIAE
****JOHN PAUL II

In this very important letter, the Holy Father says:

Mary constantly sets before the faithful the “mysteries” of her Son, with the desire that the contemplation of those mysteries will release all their saving power. In the recitation of the Rosary, the Christian community enters into contact with the memories and the contemplative gaze of Mary.

We cannot expect to reach the Holy Feet of Jesus the Savior at Calvary, unless we accompany Mary, as did the other women, and St. John. She is the embodiment of Love and Devotion to Our Lord.

Hence, in the contact of her memories, her union of love of Jesus is released … revealed, and that pure love of God reflects from the mirror of her heart to ours.

Nothing, no person, no philosopher, no speculator, no protestant, catholic, jew, can say anything about Mary.

Her place with God is indescribable.

If he doesn’t need helpers, why did he give this command:

And he said to them, "Go into all the world and preach the gospel to the whole creation.

[RIGHT]Mark 16:15 RSV[/RIGHT]

[/quote]

We do all participate, as Mary does, in the work of Christ, especially in our own salvation. Mary’s role among the faithful (including herself) who are saved by Christ is preeminent among the faithful, but it is still not the TYPE of role that Christ, God made man, has. Her type of role is that of all the faithful, as we ought to do, immersing ourselves in Christ and participating in His work of salvation.

But it would be material heresy to assign to Mary the same type of role as Christ in our salvation, since He is God and she is not. She cannot possibly have the same type of role, not even in a subordinate way. She has a fundamentally different type of role, which is to immerse herself in His role, just as we all ought to do.

As co-Redemptrix, the co- refers to us, since we participate in our own redemption, and Mary accompanies us. But the co- prefix does not imply that Mary has the same type of role as Christ, not even in a subordinate manner or to a lesser degree.

That is impossible - even Louis de Montfort does not go that far: which is saying a lot: he says that she is “less than an atom” in comparison with God (see True Devotion, paragraph 6)

How could a mere creature be “nearly equal” to God ? There is no comparison between them.

I must be very careful in my answer, because the Blessed Mother herself would never consider herself equal to God.

But one must ask, " how does God see Mary?

Her agency as intercessor, is topmost of all saints, and she has a very special position in salvation history. So much so, that certain revelations of our salvation can only be seen and comprehended through her.

His Holiness, Pope John Paul II, provides for us, in these contemporary times, a very clear teaching. In fact, in my humble opinion, the most important teaching we have on Mary.

All Catholics need to read, meditate on, and contemplate the contents of :

ROSARIUM VIRGINIS MARIAEOF THE SUPREME PONTIFFJOHN PAUL IITO THE BISHOPS, CLERGYAND FAITHFULON THE MOST HOLY ROSARY

In this very important letter, the Holy Father says:

*Mary constantly sets before the faithful the “mysteries” of her Son, with the desire that the contemplation of those mysteries will release all their saving power. In the recitation of the Rosary, the Christian community enters into contact with the memories and the contemplative gaze of Mary.*We cannot expect to reach the Holy Feet of Jesus the Savior at Calvary, unless we accompany Mary, as did the other women, and St. John. She is the embodiment of Love and Devotion to Our Lord.

Hence, in the contact of her memories, her union of love of Jesus is released … revealed, and that pure love of God reflects from the mirror of her heart to ours.

Nothing, no person, no philosopher, no speculator, no protestant, catholic, jew, can say anything about Mary.

Her place with God is indescribable.

That makes no sense. Isn’t Christ enough, & far more than enough ? We already have a Mediator; no mediator with the Mediator is needed; & if shje is that great, it is only a matter of time before we are told we need a mediator with the mediator with the Mediator, until we have a whole string of them, all on the plea that we are not fit to approach the Mediator; which is where de Montfort goes wrong. If we have to have a string of mediators (like a string of holy sausages!), we are in a position like that of Gnostic emanations - the further from God in the series the emanation was, the less pure. That is not Christianity - & a Mariology which exalts the BVM by depriving every other Christian of the direct mediation of Christ, is anti-Christian & anti-NT; it makes a mockery of the work of Christ, because it tears up a lot of NT teaching & substitutes for it the “cleverly-devised myths” of uninspired men.

To Mary is born Our Savior=The world receives it’s Savior through Mary.= The world recieves salvation through Mary.

The bonds between persons structure heaven.

As Christ is the New Adam Mary is the earth from which he is formed.

Nothing here violates the Sacred Scriptures
[/quote]

[quote=ppasa316;4774631Is there any scripture in the NT to support what you are saying. Just wondering because i feel Christ doesn’t need a helper.

[/quote]

To Mary is born Our Savior= the World recieves it’s savior through Mary= The world recieves salvation through Mary

The structure of heaven is the bonds between persons.

As Jesus is the New Adam, Mary is the earth from which He is formed.

As Adam could say, so to can Mary, 'bone of my bone flesh of my flesh."

None of the above adulterates Sacred Scripture.
[/quote]

“nearly equal” not in the equal to God sense but “nearly equal” in the mode of worship of God.

In fact, her mode of worship of God is higher than we can never actually reach.

Her love of Jesus is higher than yours. : ) When you see her, you will actually catch a ray of her love for Jesus reflecting from the mirror of her heart.

… devotion to Mary means a higher more intimate experience of Love of Jesus … Always. It’s never about Mary, … she won’t allow it …

I trust only Mary’s devotion as hers was the devotion great enough to stand at the foot of the cross. Those close to Mary also stood there.

St. Peter, James, Thomas, the other apostles and Paul were not there.

We only know of Our Blessed Savior’s passion by Mary. She is the embodiment of Love and devotion to God … and in that sense, she is the highest ideal.

No one can get close to , let alone hold the child Jesus without the permission of Mary or St. Joseph.

If you respond like this to the Holy Father’s Apostolic letter to the clergy and the faithful, then how can I expect any of my words to matter.

Mary’s love of God is greater than yours … higher than yours.

Personally, I would advise my Catholic brothers and sisters to tread carefully when assigning to Mary the titles of Co-Redemptrix and Mediatrix of All Graces…

Co-Redemptrix bothers me for a number of reasons that I won’t go into here, but I do hope that these two titles do not get dogmatized.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.