Can Mary deliver our souls from death?

I have already searched through the forums, all over the net, so here I am.

Mary delivers souls from death, (CCC 966), " . . . You [Mary] conceived the living God and, by your prayers, will deliver our souls from death."

How exactly does Mary do this?

Can she do this?

Is there another meaning I’m (obviously) not getting?

I am a new Catholic (confirmed Easter this year).

Thank you for your time in this matter.

Dear friend,

In order to understand your question, I had to find the context. In order to understand anything, we always have to understand its context. The statement that you quote is under the heading, “Mary’s Motherhood with Regard to the Church,” In #964 we read that “Mary’s role in the Church is inseparable from her union with Christ and flows directly from it.” This is the result Christ’s conception in her womb to the hour of His Passion.

As followers of Christ, we can all be instrumental in bringing souls to God. Of course. it is God who is giving the grace by means of our willingness to minister to others. Certainly, if God can use us as such instruments with all our sins, how much more can He do so through His mother who is so united with Him and is without sin.

Fr. Vincent Serpa, O.P.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.