Can men take fertility tests without it being considered sinning?

Just curious. A couple friends of mine are having trouble having a child and so they had the husband go get tested. Obviously this would involve masturbation but its for a legitimate purpose...? There must be an exception for this right?

[quote="Caged, post:1, topic:318505"]
Just curious. A couple friends of mine are having trouble having a child and so they had the husband go get tested. Obviously this would involve masturbation but its for a legitimate purpose...? There must be an exception for this right?

[/quote]

Actually, there is a special "perforated" condom that can be used: naprotechnology.com/maleinfertility.htm

I'm just a layman but I would have a hard time believing it is a sin to take the test even though it means you have to ejaculate.

[quote="Caged, post:1, topic:318505"]

[/quote]

No exception for masturbation but they can use a perforated condom.

Appropriate evaluation and treatment of male factor deficiency. Seminal fluid samples can be obtained from a non-lubricated, perforated condom after normal intercourse.

Masturbation is always a sin but there is a way to test sperm count, motility with a perforated condom.

There are two licit ways to obtain sperm for fertility testing: using perforated condoms when it is a married man who requires testing, or fine needle testicular sperm aspiration. The Pope Paul VI Institute for the study of human reproduction can be helpful in answering questions about either procedure.

Masturbation is an abuse of the sexual faculties, even when the motivation is fertility testing.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.