Can mentally ill people join the Church?

I am a 52 year old man who has struggled with bipolar disorder my entire life. It is controlled by medication (and the grace of God). My question is prompted by the desire I have to join the church, having prayed about it and read copious amounts of Catholic-based literature (including the Catechism of the Catholic Church in it’s entirety). I was wondering if my illness is a hurdle in (or a barrier to) the process of becoming a full member. I have been baptized in a different congregation so I’m hoping to join as a professing Christian who has come to the realization that the true Church must be represented by the actual substance of Christ (the Eucharist) and that without it we’re basically bowing to ideas.

Thank you.

Yes, individuals with mental health issues can most certainly join the Catholic Church. It is not a barrier of any kind. As long you sincerely believe what the Church teaches then you can receive the sacraments of initiation into the Church.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.