Can my dad still get the scapular promises if his scapular is stolen?

My dad has been wearing the brown scapular ever since I can remember. He is now 89 years old and living in a convalescent hospital. His scapular keeps getting thrown away or something. I’ve already spoken to the director of nurses but still his scapular keeps getting thrown away or something. Would he still receive the promises of our Lady?

If your father’s scapular keeps disappearing through no fault of his own, he is not to blame for not wearing it, so please do not scruple over that. Rather, I would recommend filing a complaint with the hospital that your father’s religious articles continue to be lost and the staff evidently has no interest in ensuring that this does not happen again. In the meantime, you and your father might look for a place in his room where an extra scapular can be kept hidden so that he always has access to a spare when his primary scapular is “lost.”

**Recommended reading:

The Sign of the Scapular** by Michelle Arnold

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.