Can My Grandaughter Be Baptized?

My son (cradle Catholic) was married in the church and after several years was divorced. He has subsequently remarried in a civil ceremony. The first marriage was never annulled. The second marriage has now produced a beautiful 5 week old baby girl. Both my son and his second wife would like to raise the child Catholic. Can my grandaughter be bapitzed?

Your son and daughter-in-law should talk with their pastor. The basic requirement is that there must be a well founded hope that the child will be raised Catholic. Perhaps this will be the incentive they need to pursue bringing their marriage into the church.

Your son should speak with his pastor and get his marriage situation resolved. Then return ot the practice of the Faith, at which point he could request his child be Baptized.

I’m not comfortable with waiting to have the child Baptized, and I don’t think the parents are either, but thank you for the response.

My son (cradle Catholic) was married in the church and after several years was divorced. He has subsequently remarried in a civil ceremony. The first marriage was never annulled. The second marriage has now produced a beautiful 5 week old baby girl. Both my son and his second wife would like to raise the child Catholic. Can my grandaughter be bapitzed?
[LEFT][LEFT]
[/LEFT]
[/LEFT]

Yes.

Provided of course that the priest is well assured that the child will indeed be raised Catholic.

The obvious problems with the child’s parents’ marital status is not an irreconcilable obstacle to baptism.

He and his wife need to make an appointment with his priest ASAP. He needs to be able to demonstrate how this child will be raised Catholic. This includes resolving the home/invalid marriage situation. The priest can decide how to proceed and whether he has a hope that the baby will be raised Catholic. At first glance it doesn’t look so good.There are probably many details that a meeting in private will bring out.The Priest will be able to make a decision after talking to your son and civil wife. The decision is up to the discretion of the priest, really. I hope your son is willing to put his child’s and everyone else’s salvation first before his wants. A child who is baptized and then does not grow up in a good catholic home is at risk and it ought not to be attempted.Be prepared to step in and educate this child.

Prayers for you all.

The pertinent Canon Law-

Can. 867 §1. Parents are obliged to take care that infants are baptized in the first few weeks; as soon as possible after the birth or even before it, they are to go to the pastor to request the sacrament for their child and to be prepared properly for it.
§2. An infant in danger of death is to be baptized without delay.
Can. 868 §1. For an infant to be baptized licitly:
1/ the parents or at least one of them or the person who legitimately takes their place must consent;

2/ there must be a founded hope that the infant will be brought up in the Catholic religion; if such hope is altogether lacking, the baptism is to be delayed according to the prescripts of particular law after the parents have been advised about the reason.

ALL, thanks for the replies. I now understand the general direction that needs to be taken. God Bless.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.