Can my husband become Catholic if I do not?

My husband has expressed a desire to join the Catholic Church.

My questions are:

Will he be able to take the sacrament (bread and wine) if I do not join?

How legitimate is our marriage considered? We were married in a LDS temple and have a State of California marriage license, have been married eight years, and have three children.

I had a tubal ligation. How does this effect his joining the Church, or my future joining of the Church should I so choose?

[quote=Jodi]Will he be able to take the sacrament (bread and wine) if I do not join?
[/quote]

Yes, your husband will be able to receive Communion if he joins the Church, even if you do not join.

[quote=Jodi]How legitimate is our marriage considered? We were married in a LDS temple and have a State of California marriage license, have been married eight years, and have three children.
[/quote]

If your husband has only received baptism under Latter-Day Saint auspices, he will need to be baptized by the Catholic Church should he choose to join because the Catholic Church does not recognize LDS baptisms as valid. If you have only been baptized under LDS auspices and your husband is baptized Catholic, the Church will presume your marriage to be valid and legal, but not sacramental because a valid baptism is the gateway to the other sacraments and both spouses must be baptized to receive the sacrament of matrimony.

[quote=Jodi]I had a tubal ligation. How does this effect his joining the Church?
[/quote]

If your husband were validly baptized by a Christian denomination, any participation by him in the sterilization should be mentioned in his first confession. If his only baptism has been an LDS baptism, his baptism into the Catholic Church will wash away any sin he may have committed in participating in the sterilization. He does not need to confess it because he would only confess sins committed after baptism.

[quote=Jodi] … or my future joining of the Church should I so choose?
[/quote]

Same deal: If you were validly baptized before joining the Church, you would mention the sterilization in your first confession. If you have only had an LDS baptism, your baptism into the Catholic Church would wash away any sin you may have committed by choosing to be sterilized. As with your husband, you would not confess any sins that you committed before a valid baptism.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to contact Catholic Answers directly for personalized assistance. God bless.

**Recommended reading:

How to Become a Catholic**

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.