Can my new parish obtain my baptism certificate?

I will be attending RCIA classes in the coming months and I was told I needed to get a copy of my Baptism certificate. My family has lost our copy (probably when my parents divorced some 26 years ago) and I have contacted the church I was Baptised in, which is only 15 miles from my home. Last Monday I sent them a check and they said that they would send a copy to me. Well, it’s been a week and I haven’t received it yet. Normally, it only takes one mailing day to receive a letter from across town. I have been unable to contact my former church, all I get is their answering service. I left a message but no one returned my call.

Can my current parish request a copy of my Baptism certificate? I would hate to be unable to start classes, get Confirmed, etc., because of my old church’s inefficiency. I should also mention that this church was the same one who all those years ago, failed to provide me transportation to CCD classes after assuring my grandparents that they would do so. If I sound frustrated, it’s because I am.

Dear Steve,

Tell the priest at your current parish about your problem. Perhaps this parish can get through to the other parish where you have not been sucessful. It’s worth a shot.

Welcome back! You’re in our prayers.

Fr. Vincent Serpa, O.P.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.