Can my non-sacramental marriage become sacramental?

I am a Catholic. My wife is a non-Christian. We were both married in the Catholic Church in 2007. It is my understanding that our marriage, although valid, is not sacramental since my wife has never been baptized. My wife has recently expressed a desire to become Catholic. My question is this: Will our marriage automatically become sacramental once my wife completes RCIA and enters the Church, or is there another process we must undergo? Or, can our marriage ever become a sacramental one? Thanks :)

You marriage will become sacramental as soon as she is baptized. Nothing else is necessary except perhaps to make note of it in the baptismal register.

[quote="Victor2211, post:1, topic:312721"]
I am a Catholic. My wife is a non-Christian. We were both married in the Catholic Church in 2007. It is my understanding that our marriage, although valid, is not sacramental since my wife has never been baptized. My wife has recently expressed a desire to become Catholic. My question is this: Will our marriage automatically become sacramental once my wife completes RCIA and enters the Church, or is there another process we must undergo? Or, can our marriage ever become a sacramental one? Thanks :)

[/quote]

Your valid marriage will automatically become sacramental if and when your wife is validly baptized.

If you did not already receive a nuptial blessing I believe you can request one. But that is not related to whether or not the marriage is sacramental.

That's very good news! Thank you, Joannm and SMHW, for your replies :)

[quote="Joannm, post:2, topic:312721"]
You marriage will become sacramental as soon as she is baptized.

[/quote]

Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't the marital act have to occur after baptism in order for a natural marriage to become sacramental?

[quote="devoutchristian, post:5, topic:312721"]
Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't the marital act have to occur after baptism in order for a natural marriage to become sacramental?

[/quote]

A marriage is sacramental immediately on exchange of vows (or in this case, when wife is baptized). It becomes indissoluble when consummated, which I assume it has been since 2007. That is partially why a natural marriage is still valid and indissoluble. Now someone correct ME if I'm wrong because I'm no canon lawyer!

To the OP: Praying for you and your wife!!! :D

[quote="devoutchristian, post:5, topic:312721"]

[/quote]

No.

[quote="ExGratia, post:6, topic:312721"]
It becomes indissoluble when consummated

[/quote]

This is true when both parties are baptized.

[quote="ExGratia, post:6, topic:312721"]
That is partially why a natural marriage is still valid and indissoluble. Now someone correct ME if I'm wrong because I'm no canon lawyer!

[/quote]

No. A natural marriage can be dissolved via the Pauline or Petrine Privilege.

[quote="1ke, post:8, topic:312721"]
This is true when both parties are baptized.

No. A natural marriage can be dissolved via the Pauline or Petrine Privilege.

[/quote]

Yes! I forgot those!

closed #10

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.