Can my sister and I receive Communion at each other's churches?

Hi!

My sister is a “Born Again Christian” and a beautiful person. She loves the Lord and lives her life following a Christian path - never pushing her beliefs on anyone, although she was raised a Catholic the same as I was. Her shift from Catholicism was for so many reasons, and although I have tried to bring her back into the fold, she is happy loving God in her own way. She is probably one of the most spiritual, God-loving people I have ever known.

I am a practicing Catholic who cherishes the gift I have been given, and I live my faith to the best of my ability. I am a lector and a Eucharistic Minister and very involved in my home parish.

I was visiting my sister recently, and she joined me for Mass at a Catholic Church on a Saturday night. She received communion, although she no longer believes that the Eucharist is the body and blood of Christ. She truly believes that it is symbolic.

I visited her church for a Sunday morning service the next day. They are very much into the singing and community participation. It was lovely, but without the Eucharist I personally would be lost.

They passed around a tray of crackers and grape juice and said that this was communion. So as not to offend these people - people whom I certainly believe love Jesus in a most sincere way - I joined in their celebration. Naturally, I did not believe it to be the Eurcharist any more than they did. They just believe that this is a symbolic way of remembering the Last Supper. I don’t believe its significance was any more than joining in a song.

My question is, from a Catholic perspective, did I do anything wrong? My conscience and heart are both clear in what I did, but I’d like the official standing.

Thanks so much! - Peace! - Lulu

Lulu,

These links should be helpful to understand the Church’s position on inter-communion with non-Catholics. If you have any further questions or concerns that are not answered by these links, please contact Catholic Answers directly.

**Recommended Reading on **Protestants participating in Catholic services:
What can Protestants do at Mass?
May my Methodist wife and I receive Communion together?
Am I right in stopping my boyfriend from receiving Communion?

Recommended Reading on Catholics participating in non-Catholic services:
Is it a sin to worship in other Christian churches?
Is it a sin to receive communion in a Protestant church?
Can my Catholic daughter skip Mass for a Protestant service?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.