Can my son join a military academy?

My son is very interested in pursuing admission to a Military Academy and would like to serve as an Officer in the Military.

He has worked hard and has overcome many personal obstacles. Now, because of his accomplishments, he meets the very competitive criteria for admission. I am very proud of his accomplishments and the fact that he desires to serve our Country.

A friend of ours is very vocally against my son’s pursuit of a military career. His view is that my son will soon be involved in the killing of innocent people.

Certainly my son is not pursuing this career to bring harm to anyone. He wishes to use the talents that he has been given to serve our country.

Is there any church teaching that we should be aware of regarding a military career?

Thanks for your help!
Joaly

Hi Joaly,

There is no Church teaching that would forbid your son from such a noble enterprise. The Church encourages us to defend and protect the innocent. Simply because your friend is unhappy about a particular war does not justify the condemning of all military.

Fr. Vincent Serpa, O.P.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.