Can non Catholics be saved or not?

My friend is not catholic and we were discussing whether or not Christ is truly present in the Eucharist. We were looking specifically at John 6:22-71. A question arises in John 6:53 which states “Jesus said to them, 'Amen, Amen, I say to you, UNLESS you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you DO NOT have life within you.” My friend said that this verse contradicts the Catholic Churches teaching that even people who are not catholic can be saved. He says that if Christ truly meant we had to eat His flesh in the Eucharist then the Catholic Church is contradicting itself by saying non Catholics can be saved. How can I explain that even though this verse says specifically “unless”, it is not contradicting of the Church to say only Catholics can be saved?

These links should help you understand the Church’s understanding of extra ecclesiam nulla salus. If you have any further questions or concerns that are not answered by these links, please contact Catholic Answers directly.
*Recommended Reading:
[LIST]
]Extra ecclesiam nulla salus

*] Salvation Outside of the Church
*] How can the Church accept salvation for Protestants?
*] Should Catholics try to evangelize Protestants?
[/LIST]

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.