Can non-Catholics explain what the Rosary focuses on?

Can non-Catholics please explain what the Rosary focuses on?

God bless,
Jon

Many non-Catholics would need you to define the word “Rosary”. If they’ve ever seen one they likely mistood it for a necklace.

Well this is why I posted the questions. I think many people who have heard the wrong things think The Rosary is Marium Worship.

Many of us see the rosary as being on level with muslim prayer beads.

Well,You hail Mary 50 times and you oh my Jesus 5 times. Sounds like the focus is on Mary.:confused:

How can a non-catholic explain The Rosary, never mind what it is focused on. That’s like telling a Muslim to explain the crucifix…hello??:banghead:

The focus of the rosary is Christ. Mary will intercede for us on many things.

The Rosary

Try reading that its pretty good.

The Joyful Mystery-

THE ANNUNCIATION -Spiritual Fruit: Humility

THE VISITATION -Spiritual Fruit: Love of Neighbor

THE NATIVITY -Spiritual Fruit: Poverty of Spirit

THE PRESENTATION -Spiritual Fruit: Purity of mind and body

THE FINDING OF JESUS IN THE TEMPLE -Spiritual Fruit: Obedience

The **luminous mysteries **foucuses on:

THE BAPTISM OF THE CHRIST-Spiritual Fruit: Gratitude for the gift of Faith

CHRIST MIRACLE AT THE WEDDING OF CANA -Spiritual Fruit: Fidelity

THE PROCLAMATION OF THE KINGDOM -Spiritual Fruit: Desire for Holiness

THE TRANSFIGURATION OF CHRIST -Spiritual Fruit: Spiritual Courage

THE INSTITUTION OF THE EUCHARIST (LAST SUPPER)

Spiritual Fruit: Love of our Eucharistic Lord

The Sorrowful Mysteries

THE AGONY IN THE GARDEN Spiritual Fruit: God’s Will be done

THE SCOURGING AT THE PILLAR -Spiritual Fruit: Mortification of the senses

THE CROWNING WITH THORNS -Spiritual Fruit: Reign of Christ in our heart

THE CARRYING OF THE CROSS -Spiritual Fruit: Patient bearing of trials

THE CRUCIFIXION - Spiritual Fruit: Pardoning of Injuries

The Glorius Mysteries

THE RESURRECTION -Spiritual Fruit: Faith

THE ASCENSION -Spiritual Fruit: Christian Hope

THE DESCENT OF THE HOLY SPIRIT -Spiritual Fruit: Gifts of the Holy Spirit

THE ASSUMPTION -Spiritual Fruit: To Jesus through Mary

THE CORONATION -Spiritual Fruit: Grace of Final Perseverance

This is why I started this thread as The Rosary is the focus on Christ Life.

:nope:

Hi,
WOW you focus on that every time you say the rosary!! Im impressed:thumbsup: I have a hard enough time focusing on one thing at a time.:o I must have adult ADD:o

Actually if you want the math behind it here you go:
We reiterate all our core beliefs once in the Creed.
I believe in God, I believe in Jesus Christ, I believe in the Holy Spirit, I believe in the Holy Catholic Church, I believe in the Communion of Saints, I believe in the ressurection of the body, I believe in life everlasting. this gives 3 references to God.

We pray the the Our Father six times during the Rosary. This means that the seven fold prayer within the Our Father is repeated six times giving 42 direct prayers to the Father.

Then we have six Gloria’s each of which give three fold glory to God, Father, Son and Holy Spirit of the Trinity gives another 18 prayers directly to the one God of the Trinity.

This gives a total of 63 prayers to God so far since prayer is a raising of the heart and mind to God.

God is mentioned in every Hail Mary. Therefore another 53 mentions of God.

The name Jesus is mentioned at the heart of each Hail Mary which is another 53 times we mention the name of Jesus.

At the end of each decade we call on Jesus to save us from the fires of hell which is another 5 times we call on His Holy Name.

How are we doing? I make it 174 clear references to God in the Rosary.

Mary is mentioned twice in each of the 53 Hail Marys = 106 references.

Mathematically the Rosary is focused on God and directed to God through Mary.

The Hail Mary focuses on Jesus. One of my Protestant friends stated “Why do you call them mysteries? Why not miracles of the rosary?” That has me stumped.

Mystery is used to connect something with the Divine. A well known Church Father (whose name escapes me) once said “A Church without mysteries is not Divine”.

The mysteries we recall in the Holy Rosary of the Blessed Virgin Mary, highlight the Divinity of Jesus.

By the way not all of the mysteries conatin miracles e.g. the finding of the Christ Child in the temple, the proclamation of the Kingdom, crowning with thorns, the scourging etc.

:love: That was great!!

AFH,
Each of the mysteries are focused to a certain day of the week. So… for example The Joyful Mysteries would be said on a Monday and a Saturday thus the the meditation and focus would be solely on the Joyful Mysteries on those days. Other Mysteries would be focused on other days. The Luminous on Thursday, the Sorrowful on Tuesday and Friday, and the Glorious on Wednesday and Sunday.

So it would go like this…

Make the Sign of the Cross and say the "Apostles’ Creed."
Say the "Our Father."
Say three "Hail Marys."
Say the "Glory be to the Father."
Announce the First Mystery; then say the “Our Father.”
(if reciting the joyful mysteries ( please see above list)all the joyful mysteries will be reflected in this Rosary alone.)

Say ten “Hail Marys,” while meditating on the Mystery.
Say the "Glory be to the Father."
Announce the Second Mystery; then say the “Our Father.” Repeat 6 and 7 and continue with Third, Fourth and Fifth Mysteries in the same manner.

(ALL five Mysteries have now been reflected upon). Tuesday you would mediate and focus on a different mystery. I.E. Luminous, Glorious, etc…

:nerd:

God bless,
Jon

There are five decades in a rosary. You focus on one mystery per decade while you are praying. It’s a good way to meditate on the life of Christ as taught by the bible and the teachings of the Apostles. You don’t meditate on all five mysteries at once. That would require some serious mental gymnastics! :slight_smile:

that’s right. The non-catholic bro/sis assume many things about Catholic without giving themselves time to find out what the Rosary is all about. :slight_smile:

I am glad that some of us have already given answer to whom we actually worship while praying with the rosary!

Praise the Lord for bring this up.

When I was a Protestant, I was told that the Rosary was a repetitious prayer to Mary and was a form of worship of her. The Rosary beads were considered idols of Marian worship, which we ultimately believed was devil worship. We believed that Catholics were deceived by Satan into worshipping a demonic spirit in the form of Mary.

We never, ever bothered to look into what the Rosary actually was. We believed everything we were told, and rejected Catholics and their practices as non Christians.

Once I started researching all things Catholic for myself, I felt that I had been extremely betrayed by all those who had taught me Christianity up to this point, it was horrifying all that I had been taught that was completely false and a lot was vicious, and that’s being generous.

I find the Rosary absolutely beautiful now. I find new things in each of the mysteries each time I meditate on them. I am very grateful that I haven’t lived my whole life and into the grave without knowing the truth about the great Catholic devotions that I had been missing, and am able to benefit from them now.

Truth is always better than a lie.

I am so moved when I read posts like yours, Jeanette. Indeed, when someone like you actually spends time and have an open heart, he/she will see the truth of the Catholic Church.

Although I’ve been Catholic all my life, I had never had chance to understand it entirely for me spending little pray before. Until, I was guided by the Holy Spirit. My life has changed, and I am in love with praying with the Rosary. The meditation on each of the mysteries is so beautiful and powerful.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.