Can Non-Catholics receive the Sacrament of Confession?

I asked the following question a week ago or so:

*Listening recently to Catholic Answers, I was happy to hear that non-Catholics can use Confession. If they do, and if they believe, do they receive the sacrament, or is it just a counseling session for them? Also, if they can receive, do you think it would be a good idea for a bishop or for the Pope to extend an invitation to them? The abundant graces from the sacrament may bring much healing to our heavily-burdened world. *

I received a reply directing me to an answer Fr. Serpa gave someone else that said that baptized non-Catholics can receive the sacrament. It seems that he implied that if the person is baptized, believes in the sacrament, and is familiar with the form, he would indeed be able to receive the sacrament. So I go to the real crux of my question - is a bishop free to publicly invite non-Catholics to the sacrament?

The following link should help you understand the Church’s position on non-Catholics going to Confession. If you have any further questions, please contact Catholic Answers directly.

Recommended Reading:

[LIST]
*] What about Confession for a non Catholic?
[/LIST]

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.