Can non-Christians receive blessings at mass (at communion time)?

Can non-Christians receive blessings at mass (at communion time)? Or do you need to be baptized Christian to receive the blessing in place of Eucharist at communion time?

Yes.

However, I wold be curious as to why you would want a blessing if you are not a Christian…

Why? During the Mass the priest gives you, and the whole congregation a blessing. Walking up with your hands crossed over your chest to my knowledge is an innovative and un-orthodox practice. I don’t see a reason to do it if the priest already gives a blessing. What makes you want it? Do you want to participate in the Mass more during the procession to the Holy Eucharist?

My husband is a non-Catholic Christian, & he has in the past gone up for a blessing.

For a non-Christian to seek out a blessing from God, I think it’s wonderful! If you are seeking God’s will & wanting a tangible sign that God loves you & wants you to know Him & that He is, I think it’s wonderful!

From Matthew 5 (BibleHub):

43 “You have heard that it was said, ‘Love your neighbori and hate your enemy.’
44 But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you,
45 that you may be children of your Father in heaven. He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous.
46 If you love those who love you, what reward will you get? Are not even the tax collectors doing that?
47 And if you greet only your own people, what are you doing more than others? Do not even pagans do that?
48 Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect.

Joining the Communion line for the purpose of receiving the priest’s blessing is a practice that can cause controversy in some places. In some dioceses and some parishes it is actively encouraged, while in other places it can give rise to rumblings of discontent. Have you observed closely what the common practice is at the church where you attend Mass?

Some religions (thinking specifically of Hinduism here, but I’m sure there are others) get very ecumenical, for lack of a better word. They have an attitude of “hey, there is truth in all religions, and Jesus seems pretty cool, so sure, why wouldn’t I want a blessing?”

:rofl:

:popcorn:

I would think he would want to cover his bases.

This could be a prelude to a conversion.

Catholics in a state of mortal sin and non-Catholics may NOT join the Communion line for a blessing. There have been dozens of threads on this topic.
It is called a Communion line for a reason!!

Really? What’s wrong with that? I’ve received a blessing when not in a state of grace before, (so as not to make a sacriligeous communion) and never thought it would be inappropriate. It’s not communion…

That depends on the individual priest and church. Some priests and bishops have a different view of this than you might have

From http://www.ewtn.com/library/liturgy/zlitur81.htm

However, the fact remains that many bishops have made approving comments regarding it and some have actually participated in such blessings. Thus the legal issue at the heart of the original question remains doubtful. Indeed, as one reader has helpfully informed me, the bishops’ conference of England and Wales has published a fairly authoritative statement on this issue, to wit:
“Even though some in the assembly may not receive ‘sacramental’ Communion, all are united in some way by the Holy Spirit. The Traditional idea of spiritual communion is an important one to remember and re-affirm. The invitation often given at Mass to those who may not receive sacramental communion — for example, children before their first communion and adults who are not Catholics — to receive a ‘blessing’ at the moment of Communion emphasizes that a deep spiritual communion is possible even when we do not share together the Sacrament of the Body and blood of Christ” (the Catholic Bishops’ Conference of England and Wales, “Celebrating the Mass: A Pastoral Introduction,” (Catholic Truth Society, April 2005, In number 212, pg 95)."

So I would say, depending on your local custom and authority, it could be welcomed or frowned upon.

IMHO, I agree with the above quoted sentiment. :tulip:

Bishops can give permission to priests but priests do not have the authority to allow it.

Why would anyone want to go into a COMMUNION line for a blessing when EVERYONE receives a blessing by the priest at the end of the Mass. Are they superstitious and want a double blessing??!!

No, thistle. Like I posted above and will post an excerpt again, with emphasis (being mine):

That means that, if permissible, people who may not be in a state of grace or not Catholic, stand by and with us in that precious moment.

It’s quite beautiful, IMHO. :tulip:

Uummmm Nope!
Really?? As a former Agnostic/Methodist, I totally got in the Communion line for a blessing! In fact, My RCIA Priests said it was perfectly fine! I at least was getting close to the Eucharist!
Btw, why would someone not want a double blessing??

You sound a little irritated by the idea. Perhaps it’s because they’re Publicans…

Lol in the Maronite (and other Eastern Catholic churches) there are at least 8-10 blessings the priest gives the congregation during each liturgy.

Wow!!! That is awesome!!!

Perhaps receiving the laying on of hands in blessing has great significance to those who are not receiving the bread and wine.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.