Can non First Communion Catholics still get their sins forgiven?

I am an adult who received Baptism but not 1st communion.
I have been to Mass but not had confession or received Eucharist as a priest told me that first communion had to take place first before doing the others.
Is a person in my situation able still to have their sins absolved or how does it work please?

Of course. Confession is generally a requirement before First Communion unless it’s all occurring at once, which I’m not sure I’ve ever heard of.

Go to Confession if you’ve committed a Mortal Sin and need to return to a State of Sanctifying Grace. Otherwise don’t worry about it.

My guess would be that the Priest wants you to go through RCIA or something similar and first Confession will be done as part of that. Do you plan on coming fully back to the Church?

Sorry im not sure what RCIA is,but at the time that the priest said this I was preparing with him to go through the First Communion process but in the end I didn’t due to other life commitments.

Is confession still private behind a screen like in the movies or is it all now open😬?

RCIA stands for Rite of Christian Initiation of Adults, which usually includes the 3 sacraments of initiation, which are Baptism, Eucharist (Communion), and Confirmation. RCIA programs include the teaching which prepares adults for these sacraments.

I have read that a similar process is available for Catholics who were baptized but never received Confirmation and/or Eucharist, and I assume it would include the sacrament of Reconciliation (Confession).

These days in most parishes, you have a choice of confessing behind a screen or face-to-face, whichever you prefer.

Some parishes have open as their default (which I hate, but I suppose you have to cater for everyone) but you still theoretically have the right to anonymity if you request it (which, you know, kind of undermines the whole thing.) Just find a traditional parish which offers it behind a screen. Most parishes and oratories which offer the EF should have it.

Talk to your pastor about completing your sacraments of initiation, first confession, first communion, and confirmation. He may have some study for you to do. You can confess to any priest and anonymity should be an option.

Please do this soon. Christ’s Church needs you and you need it!

I agree with Paulfromiowa, seek the answers to your questions from your priest, he will guide you. Welcome home!

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.