Can nuns...

Can nuns grant absolution???

No.

Ever, is there any certain situation where it would be allowed???

No. Only a priest (or bishop) can grant absolution. No deacon or lay person (even if they are a brother or sister) can grant absolution.

So then what exactly is the purpose of a nun???

No, no, no.

The local supermarket is having a “can sale” and I have to say, when I saw the title of this thread, I thought to myself, "Good gravy, EVERYTHING is canned these days. . . :smiley:

A nun is a woman consecrated to the religious life. THAT is her purpose.
I don’t believe a brother (or monk) can give absolution either.
Do you think that only PRIESTS have a purpose, because they can absolve sins?

I’d recommend a look either here on CA or over at EWTN or New Advent. . .read about priests, nuns and brothers. I think you’d benefit. . .heck, all of us could. None of us has ALL the answers.

No!

“A priest alone is the minister of the sacrament of penance.” (Code of Canon Law, can. 965)

[quote=Valtiel]So then what exactly is the purpose of a nun???
[/quote]

…nun -thing:D

…seriously… they are religious laity, they serve society in hundreds of ways… for most of us, it was spiritual guidence and christian examples that most of us will be lucky to attain…

…IMHO, i probably would have never stayed with the Church were it not for the training and example set by a good many nuns in my life…

i pity those who never had a personal/spiritual relationship with a nun…

we are all blessed that they are there to serve man and Christ:thumbsup:

ALRIGHT!!!

I caught the first two no’s no need to continue…

Just answer my other question please…

[/quote]

…seriously… they are religious laity, they serve society in hundreds of ways… for most of us, it was spiritual guidence and christian examples that most of us will be lucky to attain…

…IMHO, i probably would have never stayed with the Church were it not for the training and example set by a good many nuns in my life…

i pity those who never had a personal/spiritual relationship with a nun…

we are all blessed that they are there to serve man and Christ:thumbsup:

Ouch!:rotfl:

[quote=Valtiel]ALRIGHT!!!

I caught the first two no’s no need to continue…

Just answer my other question please…
[/quote]

Nuns and monks are lay religious. Their purpose is to serve God to the fullest of their ability. They devote their entire life to Christ without division.

They serve this world by helping in chatechesis of people. They serve the poor, like mother Theresa. They serve in many other ways too.

Never, ever…did I say Never?

[/quote]

To serve God and grow in holiness. A nun’s primary vocation is devotion and service to the Lord. Depending on the order, this service may be in the form of primarily contemplative prayer, or it may be service in the world. A few indispensable things nuns do:

Pray
Teach in schools and CCD classes
Serve the poor
Work in hospitals and charities
Bake the bread used for the Eucharist

Nuns are angels sent by God to help and pray for us…

No, but they are pretty close to that. They are folks who have committed their lives totally to serving God. Many groups consider themselves married to Jesus Himself.

St. Catherine of Siena and Sr Faustina Kolsulka (sp?) were two such nuns, both had a relationship so close to Jesus that Jesus and Mary appeared to them. St. Catherine gave us the miraculous medal, and is directly responsible for several miraculous events. Sr. Faustina gave us the Divine Mercy chaplet and she commisioned an artist to paint her vision of Christ appearing to her as the king of Divine Mercy.

Some groups such as the Sisters of Charity and the Sisters of the Holy Cross are mainly associated with setting up and running schools, hospitals, and orphanages. Others may be devoted solely to praying for others or solely with assisting the poor (as the Little Sisters of the Poor or the Sisters of Charity founded by Mother Teresa).

I consider the nuns mainly responsible for spreading and maintaining Catholicism in America. The hundreds of schools that they founded have helped to raise millions of Catholics. They basically worked for free and kept the tuitions low for hundreds of years. But with their numbers have been dwindling, most schools now hardly have any nuns teaching and most are administrators or principals.

It is rare to find more than 2 or 3 nuns in any one school. Hopefully that trend will change back. But nuns are all angels of mercy, and deserve our utmost respect.

wc

The reason I asked was because I recently saw some old western movie with this nun and clint eastwood ( I can’t remember the name, but I am sure that most you will know what I’m talking about, at least I hope). Anyway I thought I saw this nun absolve a dying man, so I was just curious…

The nun (Shirley McClaine) wasn’t exactly a Catholic nun either. She was a prostitute-revolutionary posing as a nun. Since her character wasn’t exactly Catholic in her real life, it could be safe to assume she did what she thought (erroneously) what nuns could do. No way can a Sister or Brother absolve anyone. Only a Priest can do that.

I hope that I can add a little to the discussion of why we have nuns. Nuns and sisters have been called by God to follow the evangelical counsels of voluntary poverty, perfect chastity and obedience. They do this for their own sanctification and to devote themselves exclusively to the service of God. Some serve by lives of prayer such as the cloistered nuns. The sisters who taught me as a child told us that the cloistered nuns were the power house of the Church. Other sisters serve God through prayer and service to their neighbor as teachers, nurses, in social work etc. We are all called to practice poverty, chastity and obedience as appropriate in our state of life, but the nuns and sisters live these virtues in a more radical way. Their example shows us that it can be done. For example, if nuns and sisters can keep their vow of chasity throughout life, can’t we remain chaste until marriage or use natural family planning? I hope that this prospective is of some help.

Can I mention Mother Angelica, she is one nun that really shows how important and how much we need nuns. I have a nun in charge of my parish and I am sure there are plenty more out there.

ewtn.com/general/index.asp

Scylla

Originally, the main purpose of nuns is to pray for us common folks. :bowdown: This is especially true in the case of cloistered nuns (early nuns were all cloistered). They sacrifice their whole being to constant prayer for the good of the Church. :thumbsup:

“Priests talk of God to men; we (nuns) talk of men to God.” :thumbsup:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.