Can one be received into the Church twice?

Can a person make a second profession of faith, almost a second confirmation. Married couples often renew their vows so can a person renew their profession of faith? I don’t think the seal of baptism can be resealed so can a public reception of Holy Communion with a profession of faith be made.

I am asking this question because I want to know If someone can be recieved into the Church privately and later on make a public profession of faith.

We renew our profession of faith with the recitation of the Creed every Sunday, and in a particular way at the renewal of our Baptismal vows at Easter.

-ACEGC

Okay, so a peson can be recieved into the Church privately and make a public profession of faith later? By public, I mean a person standing before everyone.

Baptism and Confirmation are done in Church publicly (unless a person was seriously ill/near death).
There is no second baptism or second confirmation.

Being received into the Church is like being born - happens once and once only, and no amount of attempting to crawl back into your mother’s womb would enable anyone to be ‘reborn’ in any meaningful sense.

As has been pointed out, every Sunday is an occasion when we reaffirm our faith through recitation of the Creed, not to mention worshipping together, and in a sense is a renewal of our membership card as far as the faith goes.

no, the first reception into full communion with the Catholic Church was public, even if only the priest were present. We as Catholics renew our profession of faith publicly at each Sunday Mass when we recite the Creed, and formally renew our baptismal promises including profession of faith at Easter each year.

What has prompted you to pose this question?

The only reason I can think you might want or need to this is if you had left the Church for some reason. If that is the case a priest can hear your profession of faith, perhaps after some councelling. It can be done privatly.

No profession of faith would be necessary.

All that would need to be done is a good confession. That is how fallen away Catholics are brought back fully into the Church.

What prompts the question is that my parents refuse to allow me to be received into the Church now, even though I am 18 and have been in RCIA.

Are you certain? My understanding is differnt, but I couldn’t find the documentation, do you have any?

No

It would still be public, but I don’t think your parents would have to know.:shrug:

Please speak with your parish priest concerning this.

God bless you!

But, you are asking about being received into the Catholic again. Either:

[LIST]
*]you have been baptised as a Catholic, or
*]validly baptised in a non-Catholic Church or ecclesial community and confirmed in the Catholic Church, or
*]validly baptised and chrismated/confirmed in a non-Catholic Church and received into full communion with the Catholic Church, or
*]baptised and confirmed in the Catholic Church following RCIA.
[/LIST]
All of the above will make you a Catholic. If you are a Catholic you are a Catholic so why would you want to be received into the Church a second time.

However, you are saying that your parents will not let you undertake RCIA. This would suggest you are not yet in the Catholic Church. There again the need to be received a second time is irrelevant.

What is your actual canonical status? Are you a Catholic or not?

Your parents, as far as the Church, and at your age the State, is concerned they cannot prevent you. The only way they can prevent you is by the amount of influence they exert over you.

If you were Baptized in the Catholic Church but not raised in the Church then I could see how, as an adult, it would be requested of you to go through RCIA and be Confirmed and given First Eucharist.

Technically you would be a Catholic and you would just be completing the Sacraments of Initiation and not being received into the Church. A protestant who is baptized makes a profession of Faith and is then Confirmed and given First Eucharist.

If your baptism was in the Catholic Church you would not have to do so.

I was baptized in a protestant Church. I am in RCIA and I have not recieved the Sacraments of Reconciliation, Communion, or Confirmation.

By “being confirmed twice” I meant a more public declaration of faith with my parents and parish present some time after actually receiving the Sacraments. Now I understand that Confirmation and Baptism can not be repeated. Since I will probably be confirmed without the presence of family I was looking for an opportunity to make an open profession of faith before my family at a Mass some time later.

I have never heard of this being done.

I know people like to “renew” their wedding vows but that is discouraged as well.

The Mass is not about us and should not be made to focus on us.

I am sorry if your family does not come to the Mass were you will be fully received into the Church. My family (non-practicing Catholics) did not come when I was fully received, But they did come to my profession of first vows.

OP - your parents do not need to be present for your confirmation and you are legally an adult so they cannot prevent you.

If your concern is family harmony while you are still at home, you might delay until you move out. You might temporarily miss those graces but your baptism at least is complete.

Depending on your particular circumstances, your priest may permit you to go to Reconciliation (I understand any baptized Christian may receive that sacrament in serious situations). You may also make a Spiritual Communion, which is a prayer that imparts some of the grace of the Eucharist to one who is unable to receive (e.g. did not fast, in a state of mortal sin, etc).

Granted, we may see how such could be done, but clearly such is not in accordance with the RCIA.

The RCIA is primarily for non-Christians, but also provides for non-Catholic Christians. Nowhere does it apply to baptized Catholics regarding celebrating the sacraments of initiation.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.