Can one have Holy Communion whenever one choses?

Hello,

This is my first post and I am in the process of crossing the Tiber. I was discussing my discussion with my best friend and some how or another we got to the part of the conversation about the Eucharist, and basically my friend believes that if he is in a “right” standing with God and prayed heavily before hand then he is able to have communion with grape juice and crackers or bread. And it would be the equivalent of a priest. And he believe that he doesn’t need some “guy” blessing some bread and wine/grape juice to have “communion with his Lord” If you have any advice with scriptures if possible. I am not trying to change his mind merely looking to expand his understanding. Thank you.

Chris

Hi Chris,

I guess the biggest difference between your friend’s understanding of the Eucharist and that of the Catholic Church is that he thinks that the it is a communion with the Lord that WE initiate. IF he is in a right standing with the Lord is a mighty big IF! Just who determines that one is or isn’t in such a right standing—some “guy” like him? Besides sounding a tad arrogant, such a stance is not scriptural (Jn 6). Jesus initiated the Eucharist and stated quite emphatically that it is truly His body and blood. When most of his disciples left Him because of this, there is no evidence that He called them back and acknowledged that He was only speaking symbolically. What the Catholic Church teaches is totally consistent with Scripture (Jn 6:51) and with what the early Church taught.

So the Eucharist is a communion with the Lord that HE established and maintains through the authority that He gave to Peter and his successors. Many a person has died in defense of the reality of that Blessed Sacrament. The Communion that it is, is both a spiritual union and a physical union that is initiated by Jesus Christ Himself—and is NOT the result of mere subjective human fervor. See our various tracts: catholic.com/library/sacraments.asp

Fr. Vincent Serpa, O.P.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.