Can one marry one's Confirmation sponsor?

So essentially, I am wondering just that: can a person marry his/her confirmation sponsor? In the old Code of Canon Law, it said that persons involved in the sponsor-confirmant relationship had formed a spiritual bond which acted as a minor impediment to marriage. I think St. Thomas Aquinas gives a similar argument. The new Code, however, has no such clause. As far as I am aware, it completely ignores the subject. I have also heard the augment that, insofar as this discipline is not imposed, it does not exist. In other words, since it is not addressed, it is no longer an issue and a confirmant could potentially marry his/her sponsor.

I ask principally on account of my own situation. I sponsored a girl not much younger than myself whom I have become quite good friends with and am wondering if I am permitted to pursue a relationship with her.

The 1917 Code of Canon Law was abrogated when the 1983 Code took effect:

Can. 6 §1. When this Code takes force, the following are abrogated:

1/ the Code of Canon Law promulgated in 1917;

Neither the 1983 code nor any subsequent Church document prevents a Confirmation sponsor from marrying the person that was confirmed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.