Can one parish celebrate both Extraordinary and Ordinary Forms?

I’ve only seen parishes dedicated to celebrating the Extraordinary Form of the Mass or the Ordinary Form, never both.

Could a parish community celebrate, say, the Ordinary Form at 10am on Sunday and the Extraordinary Form at 11:30?

Could, and do. Happens all the time. Very frequently, the TLM is just celebrated one time on Sundays, with the rest of the Masses being OF. People often drive in from all over to assist at it.

(Just a word to the wise, the term “Novus Ordo” is disliked among many CAF contributors, I have no issue with it as a shorthand pars pro toto for post-1969 Masses, but others do, they think it’s dismissive and derogatory. Opinions are one of those things that everybody’s got.)

7 Likes

Thank you! I didn’t realize. I fixed it to say Ordinary and Extraordinary forms

I’ve even heard priests use the term “Novus Ordo” without derogatory intent.

It’s just one of those things that disturb people. We all have our pet peeves.

CAF is much friendlier to the traditionalist movement, than I would expect a mainstream, diocesan-approved apostolate to be. So I’m willing to play nice and play by the rules. Small price to pay.

5 Likes

Absolutely.

This parish has ordinary and extraordinary masses every Sunday.

In two cities I’ve lived in, there were churches that offered the OF normally and the EF at a specific time once a month. I haven’t personally been to one that does the EF every week. But as everyone’s said, a parish can do that.

1 Like

This parish is not just the gold standard, it is the platinum standard. In a few years, I am giving some thought to relocating there, precisely because of that parish.

2 Likes

Yes, most of them that celebrate EF do what you said and celebrate OF as well at other times.

It’s relatively rare to find a parish that’s EF only. They do exist but it’s more common to find a parish switching off.

In several cases, the EF is being hosted by national parishes or ethnic parishes that want to keep having the OF in Polish or German or whatever but don’t have enough parishioners to support the church, so they invite the EF folks to come over for their Mass also and get more attendees that way.

1 Like

My parish offers the EF Mass on 2 mornings, 1 evening, and twice on Sundays. The OF Mass is offered on 2 mornings and once on Sundays.

2 Likes

Our cathedral has the EF and OF every Sunday. We also have daily low mass every weekday morning, and an OF at noon. Also, on major feast days we always have an EF and an OF mass.

1 Like

I think the difference the op is thinking about relates to a full time, personal parish, exclusive to the EF.

For instance, a few orders offer the EF exclusively. If FSSP is assigned to a parish, it wouldn’t be a territorial parish. People come long distances for the EF, and other parish supports. They have OF Masses available elsewhere if they be want.

But even there FSSP might invite a diocesan priest to offer a OF Mass there, maybe every Sunday. I can see that happening more in a rural area.

In my diocese TLM is sponsored by Una Voce as a guest in a (,historic) diocesan parish. The pastors never have said the EF. But the TLM community has grown, in numbers and activity and the ethnic parish has shrunk so really the"guest" is keeping that parish open.

There are very few of these. I’m only aware of two or three, each one located in a separate diocese. I would guess that more populous dioceses may be able to get one or two such dedicated parishes at most.

It’s much more common to have a parish offering a mixture of EF and OF.

One such parish I’ve attended has a big EF on Sunday followed immediately by an OF. Watching them prepare the sanctuary for the OF, which involves rolling in a portable altar and draping it and making other setup changes, is like watching stagehands changing a set. It’s a well-oiled machine.

1 Like

There could also be an Armenian Catholic, Syro Malabar or Byzantine Divine Liturgy etc celebrated before or after that is just as Catholic as any Mass celebrated within the Latin Church. It is normal and common that Catholic parishes let our Byzantine and Oriental Catholic brothers and sisters celebrate their liturgies within what is commonly known as “Ordinary Form Catholic parish”.

1 Like

My own parish “lends” one of its churches to an FSSP apostolate once a week for a Sunday afternoon Mass.

One of our parish priests will celebrate weddings in the EF if the couple asks for it.

1 Like

They could always just celebrate the OF ad orientem (facing away from the people), but I guess that would be a non-starter.

Yes, next question, please.

1 Like

I can list a few parishes where this very thing you ask happens.

Both forms of the Roman Rite of Mass can be celebrated in the same parish; in the same church, oratory, chapel or other sacred place; by the same priest; attended by the same people.

There is no rule where anyone or any place has to choose either or.

Yes, in places where there is a stable community of Catholics asking for the Extraordinary Form, both forms are offered. Summorum Pontificum envisioned this.

What the Motu Proprio did not call for is activist clergy who press to have the EF where a stable community does not exist… or proactively pushing it. Summorum Pontificum was a great act of mercy for those attached to the EF.

Godisgood and I do not see eye to eye on some subjects, but they have been posting here long enough and substantively enough that I can assure you they are not a troll. They simply have a different viewpoint than you do.

1 Like

Yes.

For example, here are two parishes in the City of Philadelphia that offer both the Ordinary Form and Extraordinary Form on Sundays.

1 Like
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.