Can one repent and be forgiven of mortal sin on Judgement Day?

For example…

A person is in mortal sin. He hears a thunder in the sky and sees the Lord coming back down to the Earth. He freaks out. He finds a priest to confess to before it is his turn for the Final Judgement by God on that day. Would he be saved if he was absolved before it was his turn for the Final Judgement?

Would Divine Mercy work in this as well?..since it is said that God stays with us and tries to save our soul even at the moment of death…would he do the same at the moment of the everlasting death?

We don’t know.

Repentance is always possible while bodily alive.

But are we bodily alive at the moment of judgment, or does everybody die then?

ICXC NIKA

If he is still alive, he can repent. Since part of your scenario is his finding a priest, I presume this person is still alive.

I would agree with this.

One must keep close accounts w/ God, since
He can return at any moment, like the five
wise virgins who have prepared for the Lord’s
return, the five foolish ones didn’t prepare, so
they lost out!! See Matt. 25:1ff

My suspicion is that at the Trumpet we will all be immediately transformed into our glorified bodies or in the case of the damned, hideous zombie like yet incorruptible ones as we are whisked away to the place of judgement. Presumably this is why “Every eye will see him.” We would all be gathered in one place as he descends. At this point, when you receive your new body, it counts as death in that your will is locked. So the moment the Trumpet blasts, it’s probably too late in my opinion. I could be wrong of course.

It only takes a millisecond to ask the question, although Im not sure how God will deal with those that try to get into heaven under this type of ‘legal technicality’.

If you have perfect contrition for your mortal sins
you WILL be forgiven, perfect contrition is looking
at sin from God’s point of view, it caused the cruel
death of His Son, also it causes corruption of the
Universe and leads to death. in Wisdom 1:13
“God did not invent death, and when living creatures
die, it gives Him no pleasure”. It also causes the Love
of most people to grow cold.(Matt. 24:12)

I’m pretty sure he can make Purgatory account for such situations.

There is no mocking God, but at the same time, given what he’s done on the Cross for us, I think he’d also bend over backwards to save souls at the slightest excuse. Even last-minute judgment-day technicalities.

Id like this was true, but really we dont know and some verses tend to point to the opposite, especially the one about God saying there will be many people that think they are ‘right’ with God but will end up damned, so this will come as a surprise to them…point is, if they assume they are right with God right now, well, I would presume they are pretty good decent people.

In a way, I think this does imply God is somewhat responsible, although I hesitate to state that, if the people thought they were ‘right’ with God and were going to heaven, what does that say about what they have been taught about God, the bible, scripture? Maybe they did not have a full understanding of Gods word, maybe it was confusing to them and hard to tell what God is saying…I mean, just look at how many verses and their meaning/ intention, are debated on here!! This shows MANY MANY people are NOT getting the intended message (that is a big problem imo).

When and what exactly is Judgement Day?

There are two judgment days.

1. The particular judgment

[quote=CCC]1022 Each man receives his eternal retribution in his immortal soul at the very moment of his death, in a particular judgment that refers his life to Christ: either entrance into the blessedness of heaven-through a purification594 or immediately,595 – or immediate and everlasting damnation.596
[/quote]

and
2. The last judgment

[quote=CCC]1040 The Last Judgment will come when Christ returns in glory. Only the Father knows the day and the hour; only he determines the moment of its coming. Then through his Son Jesus Christ he will pronounce the final word on all history. We shall know the ultimate meaning of the whole work of creation and of the entire economy of salvation and understand the marvelous ways by which his Providence led everything towards its final end. The Last Judgment will reveal that God’s justice triumphs over all the injustices committed by his creatures and that God’s love is stronger than death.628
[/quote]

If you are alive there is time to repent. If you are dead its too late.

This raises a question.

What about people who are bad enough to warrant temporary punishment in Purgatory, but not bad enough to warrant eternal damnation in Hell?

What happens to them on judgement day?

Anyone who goes to Purgatory (or would go there if they dropped dead suddenly) is saved, i.e. they are in a state of grace.

There is no third option. Either you are in a state of grace or a state of mortal sin when you die (Particular Judgment) or if you are alive when the final judgement comes.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.