Can one surrender someone else's soul to the devil?

Can a person surrender someone elses soul to the devil? I understand that certain Satanic cults have rituals were parents offer their babies soul to the devil. Now, I have always understood that your soul is yours and no one can take it away from you unless you, yourself surrender it. This also would apply to an innocent baby. I can see the devil possesing someone’s body but not their soul unless they surrender it to the devil. Is there any thing in the catechism, bible, or church doctrines that talk about this. There are several people in my parish that believe that this is possible; that someone can surrender another persons soul to the devil. I believe God gives us our soul and when we die it returns to him. Can you please clarify, confirm, answer, and/or provide resources to this question. Thanks!
Yours in Christ,
Deacon Fred Molina

Hi,

In his book, “Interview With An Exorcist” Fr. Antonio Fortea states: “Only the body is susceptible to demonic possession. A demon does not reside in—or in some way ‘possess’—the soul of the person. In all circumstances, the soul continues to be free and incapable of being possessed.” ( Page 72, # 64)

This should settle the matter.

Fr. Vincent Serpa, O.P.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.