Can our children get the Holy Eucharist?

Hello,

My husband and I were both raised in the Catholic Church/Faith, but we did not get married in a Catholic Church because he hadn’t yet gotten his first (Catholic) marriage annulled by the Tribunal. We are in the process of doing that now (18 years later). Our daughter goes to the Catholic School attached to our Catholic Parish (she was baptized there), and she is in 2nd grade. She is scheduled to receive the Sacraments of Reconciliation and Holy Eucharist in early 2017. She is receiving her Catechism through the school alongside her fellow students. Will they be forbidden to receive these Sacraments because my husband and I haven’t yet been able to have our marriage blessed by the Catholic Church? We have been waiting for the judgment on my husband’s annulment for over a year now, and I’m worried that it won’t happen in time for our daughter to receive these sacraments. Any input you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

The marital situation of the parents has no affect on the ability of the children to receive the sacraments. Your children are free to receive first communion and the other sacraments.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.