Can people today have visions?

My whole life i have had religious visions, i was wondering if anyone else has had the same experience that i had. I dont really like talking about them, i always assumed that i was crazy or something, until i read one passage in the bible that sounded just like one of my visions. Does this happen to everyone?

You refer these to your Confessor?
We can’t discuss private revelations specifically in these forums, and of course you wisely haven’t done that!..but God does occasionally speak to some souls in this way, though usually not.
These things should be handled wisely and in discussion with a spiritual director.
Our primary responsibility is always of charity, love and worship of God and practical charity to others. If our thought, dreams etc don’t promote our worship of God and practical kindness to others, our deepening Sacramental and prayer lives, they mean nothing; but if they do inspire us to these things, then our inspirations are valuable, whatever form they take.

May God continue to bless and lead you. :slight_smile:

[quote="Trishie, post:2, topic:223978"]
You refer these to your Confessor?
We can't discuss private revelations specifically in these forums, and of course you wisely haven't done that!...but God does occasionally speak to some souls in this way, though usually not.
These things should be handled wisely and in discussion with a spiritual director.
Our primary responsibility is always of charity, love and worship of God and practical charity to others. If our thought, dreams etc don't promote our worship of God and practical kindness to others, our deepening Sacramental and prayer lives, they mean nothing; but if they do inspire us to these things, then our inspirations are valuable, whatever form they take.

May God continue to bless and lead you. :)

[/quote]

I fully concur. A holy discerning priest/spiritual director is very, very much needed in these situations. And the fruit of any of this is obedience to him/her. Most saints did not put that much importance to them but they always revealed them to their director. St John of the Cross and St Teresa of Avila actually say to not put too much into it. Those whoo usually receive visions (like St Faustina, St Bernadette, and the children of Fatima, there are many) suffered much from their visions...

Having a very good director is a blessing from heaven...I pray you find one...:thumbsup:

These are two great posts for you. All I would add is what my SD constantly drilled in my head through formation and continues now after ordination, don’t concentrate on the magic!!! Concentrate on the meaning, look for the fruit to discern whether it is of God. If it is He will lead you where He wants you.

Another thing he said repeatedly, journal…journal everything. He would always listen to my experiences then dismiss them, and ask if I had written these down. Then he would guide me to discernment about the meanings. That was very good advise for me, it kept me grounded through the process of formation.

If you do not have a SD, start praying for God to reveal who that should be, He will guide you!!

God bless, and peace!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.