Can Protestants celebrate the Ordinary Form Mass?

Well, the prayers of the Mass contain prayers for the Pope, for the dead, and invocations of Mary and the Saints. Most non-Catholics would be unwiling to engage in at least the first, if not all three.

And intent and purpose matter as much as form… If you say the words of institution, but believe that what you are instituting is a mere symbol rather tha the Real Presence, saying those same words becomes a radically differe t act

Just a quick but important correction, there is no such thing as “baptized Catholic”. There is only one baptism, and so everyone, no matter where they are in the world or what assembly they belong to, receive the same baptism :slight_smile:

Did they? That must have been unconfortable…

And, let’s take it a step further: the foundation of the argument is flawed not only in that the Novus Ordo wasn’t “created by a Protestant”, but also in that it wasn’t created “in the Second Vatican Council.”

So… definitely “no” to the question, with a side of “your friend’s got his facts all confused”.

Nope, Nada, NOT!

Thanks for clearing the doubt but I was hearing a Dominican priest who said that Novus Ordo has finished the essence of the liturgy.
He was from Famita center YouTube channel.

We Dominicans are not right all the time. We have no authority to declare whether or not Protestants can celebrate Mass, or whether a given form of Mass is valid or not. As if they even could begin to try to do so with invalid Holy Orders. In fact, that seems to be the underlying idea: if the OF can be celebrated by Protestants, and the Mass can only be celebrated by validly ordained priests, then the OF is not a valid Mass.

Did that Dominican happen to say which province he’s a part of?

And you’ve been told the Fatima Center is not in good standing.

I hope you can see this video , if you get some time to rest (free).

“Father Albert Kallio, O.P. is a traditional Dominican priest. Originally from Canada, Father studied in Italy and France and was ordained in 1994. Since then he has traveled around the world, preaching and teaching, as well as writing for several publications. Since late 2013, he has been the superior of the traditional Dominicans in Steffeshausen, Belgium.”

It appears that community was propped up by the SSPX. The SSPX has no authority to set up Dominican communities. They can call themselves what they want and wear our habit, but they are not Dominicans.

2 Likes

Ok. Thanks for clarifying.
By the way , What do you think that if the future the Novus Ordo is abolished and the Tridentine mass comes back .
Will the church attendence increase?

I don’t know. But I think outright abolishing it would only anger a bunch of Catholics. Turning back the clock isn’t the answer: this isn’t 1962. Instead, we should be trying to incorporate more parts of the 1962 liturgy into the OF while retaining the new good things the OF has.

1 Like

Thanks for answering . I believe that the NO in the future be celebrated Ad Orientem.

Sure, but it already can be and is. Ad Orientum isn’t something solely done with the EF.

1 Like

Yeah.
I know but I believe Ad Orientum does 2 things -
1.Makes the people feel the presence of God in the eucharist .
2. We don’t have to waste money on building new Altar (money saving) , first we should use the old ones then construct a new one.

I am not here to parse out Catholic theology; someone who was baptized in a Catholic Church and hasn’t darkened the door since their first Communion will very possibly respond that they are a Catholic - and to which I was referring.

Someone baptized in the Assembly of God branch of Protestantism is extremely unlikely to self identify as a Catholic.

Your correction notwithstanding. And those baptisms, such as Jehovah’s Witness and LDS notwithstanding also.

And as my reference was to women who had been in the Catholic Church at the time of their alleged “ordination”, as opposed, say, to the Anglican and/or Episcopalian faith, and those I was referencing were Catholics, not “Assmbly of God members who don’t self identify as Catholic”.

actually, the Ordinary Form is normatively celebrated ad orientium. There are are multiple points at which thge priest is instructed in them to turn towards the congregation.

ad populum is an option for the priest, which is almost universally chosen.

similarly for the use of the vernacular–latin is still normative.

1 Like
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.