Can Protestants receive Anointing of the Sick?

They can’t receive the Eucharist, with good reason (1 Corinthians 11: 28-30). However, it’s less clear to me that Protestants or people of other (or no) faiths couldn’t receive it.

Mark 6:13 says that Christ send his disciples out, and “they cast out many demons, and anointed with oil many that were sick and healed them.”

I don't believe a Protestant can receive the Anointing of the Sick. Presuming this person is a life long Protestant they never would've been confirmed in the Catholic Church and as such the sacraments are not open to them, just like they can't receive Holy Communion or Reconciliation.

ChadS

No, according to the Code of Canon Law.
Canon 844, §1. Catholic ministers administer the sacraments licitly to Catholic members of the Christian faithful alone, who likewise receive them licitly from Catholic ministers alone.

(Ministri catholici sacramenta licite administrant solis christifidelibus catholicis, qui pariter eadem a solis ministris catholicis licite recipiunt.)
However,
Canon 844, §4. If the danger of death is present or if, in the judgment of the diocesan bishop or conference of bishops, some other grave necessity urges it, Catholic ministers administer these same sacraments licitly also to other Christians not having full communion with the Catholic Church, who cannot approach a minister of their own community and who seek such on their own accord, provided that they manifest Catholic faith in respect to these sacraments and are properly disposed.

(Si adsit periculum mortis aut, iudicio Episcopi dioecesani aut Episcoporum conferentiae, alia urgeat gravis necessitas, ministri catholici licite eadem sacramenta administrant ceteris quoque christianis plenam communionem cum Ecclesia non habentibus, qui ad suae communitatis ministrum accedere nequeant atque sponte id petant, dummodo quoad eadem sacramenta fidem catholicam manifestent et rite sint dispositi.)

I never said thank you, but that's a wonderful reply.

Doesn’t Canon 844, paragraph 4 presume that those other Christian communities already have the Sacraments?

“…Who cannot approach a minister of their own community and who seek such on their own accord…”

[quote="YoungTradCath, post:5, topic:292510"]
Doesn't Canon 844, paragraph 4 presume that those other Christian communities already have the Sacraments?

"...Who cannot approach a minister of their own community and who seek such on their own accord..."

[/quote]

This seems to be a case of taking a quote out of context. Church teaching is quite clear that members of Protestant churches cannot receive things like communion, sacrament of penance. They have abandoned a sacramental theology that would have allowed their faith practices to keep that theology alive.

I think this passage envisages a time where a Protestant is perhaps dying or in such a remote area that clergy from their denomination are few and far between and only have access to a Catholic priest. In that case it is the priest's responsibility to attend to them as much as possible and meet their needs.

Once things return to normal that priest would be forbidden from administering sacraments to that person.

ChadS

[quote="ChadS, post:6, topic:292510"]
This seems to be a case of taking a quote out of context. Church teaching is quite clear that members of Protestant churches cannot receive things like communion, sacrament of penance. They have abandoned a sacramental theology that would have allowed their faith practices to keep that theology alive.

I think this passage envisages a time where a Protestant is perhaps dying or in such a remote area that clergy from their denomination are few and far between and only have access to a Catholic priest. In that case it is the priest's responsibility to attend to them as much as possible and meet their needs.

Once things return to normal that priest would be forbidden from administering sacraments to that person.

ChadS

[/quote]

No. I am not saying that the Church presumes that Protestant communities have Sacraments. I am essentially asking whether or not, per that Canon, the Church requires any given Protestant community to have a Sacrament on their own (let's say... Confirmation) before the Catholic minister is allowed to dispense it to the Protestant.

Protestants,

Being Christian we have our own anointing of the sick. Healing Oil and receive Communion.

Protestants are Christian by the way and many the Eucharist is the forefront of worship. We receive all the 8 Sacraments that you guys receive. We are not aliens or mysterious. We are Christian just the same. Christian Christian Christian. Just don't have the Pope as the Head of the Church.

I wish Catholics would get over this division and learn that we are Christian too. Whether Anglican or Methodist or Baptist etc. Christian Christian Christian. Next time if in doubt don't ask here but ask your priest and if you can't ask him then ask yourself why not?

And most protestants are very well aware that Catholics don't want us in their Churches and hence we don't go. Silly really because we all are Christian but that is what the Catholics want and we respect that more than Catholics realise. No we on the whole wouldn't bother a Catholic Priest for anything because they don't want us. Sad though it is but any long withstanding active worshipper of the protestant churches are too well aware that we are not wanted in the Catholic Church accept to become Catholic.:shrug:

Englishredrose

Are you the member of a club ?

In a way, the various churches are like clubs - they all have their ‘rules’ If you are a member of the club then you obey the rules - or get out.

Yes you , an Anglican , and a Methodist, and Baptist etc are Christians - none of us doubt that BUT you are not Catholic

Thank God for that The Idiot :D

I wasn't trying to say I am Catholic. I was simply objecting to how Catholics think Protestants are sooo very different almost alienated and pointing out that as Catholics don't want us we wouldn't turn to them anyway for such sacraments and there is no need to and if Catholics knew enough about Catholics as Protestants know about Catholics then there wouldn't be such niave questions whether Protestants access the Catholics Sacraments. If they knew what we know then Catholics would know we are Taught that The Catholics do not want us. So wouldn't need to ask whether Protestents receive any Catholic Sacraments as the answer is no no no every time because Protestants are taught that Catholics don't want us at all even if we are christian. We don't go where we not wanted. But Catholics on here at least seem obsessed that Protestants would do this that other and actually we would not because we are taught its not wanted by you guys.

I don't mean this in any offence but I wish Catholics Knew as much as Protestants do about Catholic Church rulings. We have all the same anyway so why would we go to a Catholic Church to rub their noses in it to gain any sacraments? No point. We just simply want to keep the peace and stay away from Catholics because of their attitude towards Protestants. this division is silly when there is supposedly unity and people asking for forgiveness of sins but yet don't want the protestant anywhere near.... oh well.

[quote="The_Idiot, post:9, topic:292510"]
Englishredrose

Are you the member of a club ?

In a way, the various churches are like clubs - they all have their 'rules' If you are a member of the club then you obey the rules - or get out.

Yes you , an Anglican , and a Methodist, and Baptist etc are Christians - none of us doubt that BUT you are not Catholic

[/quote]

and is it any wonder am slightly wishing not want to be Catholic or turning anti Catholic if every time I join in someone waves this card at me saying 'but I am not Catholic' This is n way to try and win my heart over to Catholicism. I don't want to Catholic and I am not trying to be Catholic. But to wave this at me everytime is just not going to win anyone over.

But also this kind of posting whole thread isn't selling Catholic well to anyone and yep basically all just shows how prejudice Catholics are about anyone not Catholic and the rest of us know. Its just the Catholics who like to cover it up. Sorry guys but that the way it is. As you said yourself The idiot, you gotta obey the rules. And those rules are steeped with prejudices about those not obeying to your club rules. No offence at all but am certainly am thanking God am not in your club as I don't like the rules and don't like the authority the Church has over people. It should be God who is the centre of our lives not some Canon Law that states God is the Centre of our lives.... And a club who is flexible of where different people are at and not tie them up into knots over their sins and failings. If God really was at the centre of each live then .... harmony be here not a red flag being waved at me for not being in your club :D no offence I repeat. I am a happy anglican who knows God;)

But you keep** pushing** your view

You keep telling folks who are asking for help re confession that all you do is arrange to see your priest and you have different views on Confession.

We KNOW that - we don't need you to tell us. Your understanding on many things is at variance from catholic thinking.

I don't tell Orthodox Christians how to do things like confession , or whether they should present themselves at the Chalice - that's up to their priest not me.

am not going to play your ball game The idiot because you just don't like that am not Catholic and that is your prejudice

Now your posts are getting personal towards me aren't they and isn't that breaking the rules of this board. what was it you said about club rules
oops

I have no idea what you are talking about.

We are talking about anointing of the Sick Sacrament and somehow its gone on again

I am so sorry that is how you view it

You know how to win me over don't you - not The Idiot.....

[quote="englishredrose, post:8, topic:292510"]

And most protestants are very well aware that Catholics don't want us in their Churches and hence we don't go. Silly really because we all are Christian but that is what the Catholics want and we respect that more than Catholics realise. No we on the whole wouldn't bother a Catholic Priest for anything because they don't want us. Sad though it is but any long withstanding active worshipper of the protestant churches are too well aware that we are not wanted in the Catholic Church accept to become Catholic.:shrug:

[/quote]

I have to say that as a Catholic, this reply and the responses to it make me sad. We are all Christians, as you say. We are saved by Christ's sacrifice alone. The labels we attach to denominations are sad ways to divide us. Catholic was a term first used in the 1st century, be either St. Ignatius or St. Irenaeus. The term shows up in the apostles and nicean creeds of later centuries... these were written against early heretical movements like Gnosticism and Arianism. In those creeds catholic means universal, so many Protestant denominations include "small c" catholic as they profess the Nicean Creed in their services.

As for "not wanting" others in our services, nothing could be further from the truth, at least for me. However, we have scriptural basis for why we ask non-Catholics not to take the Eucharist. In 1 Corinthians 11:27, Paul writes that anyone who takes Eucharist but does not "discern the body" of Christ "eats an drinks judgement" on themselves. Catholics have always interpreted that as meaning that non-Catholics who typically don't believe in transsubstantiation shouldn't take communion for their own sakes!

I personally think Canon Law goes too far at times. First, the Orthodox and some Episcopals who believe the bread and wine is body and blood seem excluded only by quibbles over deference to Rome. That's a barrier to ecumenism I think is based on turf politics alone. Secondly, the scriptural basis of Annointing of the Sick is James 5:14-15. It says that the sick should "summon the presbyters" for the Annointing. Now, if a Protestant calls on Catholic clergy, why should they be denied?

As Christians, we have more in common than in division. The labels we apply to one another are terrible divisions. We should all be "nondenominational." But in doing so, share each others' reasoning for doing certain things. I don't want you to feel unwelcome in my Church, but so many Catholics are on defense, as are Protestants.

I think this sentence is crucial in making the decision:

provided that they manifest Catholic faith in respect to these sacraments and are properly disposed.

While it may not be excessively hard to observe a manifestation of Catholic faith regarding the Sacrament of Anointing, the proper disposition may be tough to discern.

In an earlier post, another non-Catholic respondent had written the following. That reply's now been deleted, but I wanted to put part of it here for context of my reply:

The earlier post:

And most protestants are very well aware that Catholics don't want us in their Churches and hence we don't go. Silly really because we all are Christian but that is what the Catholics want and we respect that more than Catholics realise. No we on the whole wouldn't bother a Catholic Priest for anything because they don't want us. Sad though it is but any long withstanding active worshipper of the protestant churches are too well aware that we are not wanted in the Catholic Church accept to become Catholic.

My reply:

I have to say that as a Catholic, this reply and the responses to it make me sad. We are all Christians, as you say. We are saved by Christ's sacrifice alone. The labels we attach to denominations are sad ways to divide us. Catholic was a term first used in the 1st century, be either St. Ignatius or St. Irenaeus. The term shows up in the apostles and nicean creeds of later centuries... these were written against early heretical movements like Gnosticism and Arianism. In those creeds catholic means universal, so many Protestant denominations include "small c" catholic as they profess the Nicean Creed in their services.

As for "not wanting" others in our services, nothing could be further from the truth, at least for me. However, we have scriptural basis for why we ask non-Catholics not to take the Eucharist. In 1 Corinthians 11:27, Paul writes that anyone who takes Eucharist but does not "discern the body" of Christ "eats an drinks judgement" on themselves. Catholics have always interpreted that as meaning that non-Catholics who typically don't believe in transsubstantiation shouldn't take communion for their own sakes!

I personally think Canon Law goes too far at times. First, the Orthodox and some Episcopals who believe the bread and wine is body and blood seem excluded only by quibbles over deference to Rome. That's a barrier to ecumenism I think is based on turf politics alone. Secondly, the scriptural basis of Annointing of the Sick is James 5:14-15. It says that the sick should "summon the presbyters" for the Annointing. Now, if a Protestant calls on Catholic clergy, why should they be denied?

As Christians, we have more in common than in division. The labels we apply to one another are terrible divisions. We should all be "nondenominational." But in doing so, share each others' reasoning for doing certain things. I don't want you to feel unwelcome in my Church, but so many Catholics are on defense, as are Protestants.

I have asked a moderator to delete it again because I think it will just lead to more argument and if you had seen it had been deleted did it occur to you it may have been tactless to bring it up again. btw I was that poster before you question and I am quite happy to discuss in full but with a moderators full consent too because I had no desire to stir but just what I felt at that time. And sadly we are barred from Catholic Sacraments once its known we are not Catholic but that is different to whether we are welcome or not.

We are very welcome and I very much liked one Roman Catholic Priest and if he had so wanted he may have converted me quite easily back in them days, but wisely I think he did not even try, just happy that we were doing what we were and Anglican.I would have followed him all the way to Catholicism back then because won’t have known enough between Anglicanisma and Catholicism. It was his wisdom not try and convert us makes me admire him all the more now. :slight_smile:

Yeh we all rub each other up the wrong way and the devil loves these games he plays on us.

If we could properly work together in unity and allow the differences to be had in us to bring us closer together then all be okay. But somehow we allow the differences between all of us to get us wider apart rather than narrowing the gap.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.