Can Roman Catholics Accept Ukrainian Catholic Eucharist

I was raised Catholic and attended a funeral at a Ukrainian Catholic church. When it came time to receive communion, I got in line and received it. It was different than the Eucharist I've always received, as the Host was in the wine and the priest scooped it out and into my mouth. Was that wrong of me to take Communion there?

A Catholic belonging to any sui juris Church can receive Communion (and also have their confessions heard) in any other sui juris Church that is in communion with the Pope of Rome.

So yes, you can accept. You can also come worship in the Ukrainian Catholic Church every Sunday if you wish. No need to go to Roman Mass if you don't want to. As per Roman Catholic Canon Law, it fulfills your Sunday Obligation.

When you receive Holy Communion at a Ukrainian parish, tilt your head back a little and open your mouth wide, so that you don't accidentally lick the spoon. The bread distributed at the end of the liturgy is blessed but not consecrated and is used to purify the mouth.

[quote="Cavaille-Coll, post:3, topic:295058"]
When you receive Holy Communion at a Ukrainian parish, tilt your head back a little and open your mouth wide, so that you don't accidentally lick the spoon. The bread distributed at the end of the liturgy is blessed but not consecrated and is used to purify the mouth.

[/quote]

I was wondering about this. The bread that is actually used during communion is consecrated, though. Correct?

[quote="Deo_Gratias42, post:4, topic:295058"]
I was wondering about this. The bread that is actually used during communion is consecrated, though. Correct?

[/quote]

Why wouldn't it be? :shrug:

Though we use bread Liturgically in many ways, just make sure you are not partaking of antidoron or Litya or any other non-consecrated Liturgical bread.

[quote="ConstantineTG, post:2, topic:295058"]
A Catholic belonging to any sui juris Church can receive Communion (and also have their confessions heard) in any other sui juris Church that is in communion with the Pope of Rome.

So yes, you can accept. You can also come worship in the Ukrainian Catholic Church every Sunday if you wish. No need to go to Roman Mass if you don't want to. As per Roman Catholic Canon Law, it fulfills your Sunday Obligation.

[/quote]

Let me clarify.
So what you're saying is that I can accept the Ukrainian Greek Catholic Eucharist? :3

[quote="Crescentinus, post:6, topic:295058"]
Let me clarify.
So what you're saying is that I can accept the Ukrainian Greek Catholic Eucharist? :3

[/quote]

Yes. I am canonically Latin who have been exclusively attending a Ukrainian Catholic Church for 2 years now.

[quote="ConstantineTG, post:7, topic:295058"]
Yes. I am canonically Latin who have been exclusively attending a Ukrainian Catholic Church for 2 years now.

[/quote]

Very interesting. :3

Yes, you can receive all 7 Sacraments from any Church in communion with Rome. Of course some Sacraments will have conditions, others will only be done in special cases or dispensations. Ordinarily, Communion and Confession is open to all. The others, they have a list of conditions and situations.

Yep! We're blessed to have many Rites in the Catholic Church! The Church breathes with two lungs - the Eastern and Western. Just make sure it is Catholic and united with the Pope. If it is Orthodox, then it is Not in communion with the Catholic Church and you cannot receive Communion there although your obligation (if Sunday or Holy Day) would be fulfilled in a pinch.

And since it's Ukrainian Greek Catholic, they administer the Eucharist using the liturgical spoon. :3

[quote="ConstantineTG, post:7, topic:295058"]

[/quote]

And I bring my family to nearby Ruthenian Catholic and Chaldean Catholic churches every so often so they can experience the Eastern Liturgies

There is no issue what so ever about receiving Holy Communion there. They ARE Catholic Churches

[quote="Crescentinus, post:11, topic:295058"]
And since it's Ukrainian Greek Catholic, they administer the Eucharist using the liturgical spoon. :3

[/quote]

Sorry but I can't stop myself from asking but why do you put the number 3 at the end of your sentences?

[quote="thistle, post:13, topic:295058"]
Sorry but I can't stop myself from asking but why do you put the number 3 at the end of your sentences?

[/quote]

It's not 3 but :3
:3 is an emoticon.

Back to the topic, I like the idea of taking the UGC Communion. :3
You guys can also ask ConstantineTG about why I like the liturgical spoons. :3

[quote="SerraSemper, post:10, topic:295058"]
Yep! We're blessed to have many Rites in the Catholic Church! The Church breathes with two lungs - the Eastern and Western. Just make sure it is Catholic and united with the Pope. If it is Orthodox, then it is Not in communion with the Catholic Church and you cannot receive Communion there although your obligation (if Sunday or Holy Day) would be fulfilled in a pinch.

[/quote]

Did you know that the holy day obligation can only be fulfilled in a Catholic Church? If one cannot get to a Catholic Church, then there is no obligation for the Mass/Liturgy. (It's still day of rest.)

Latin church

CIC
Can. 1247 On Sundays and other holy days of obligation, the faithful are obliged to participate in the Mass. Moreover, they are to abstain from those works and affairs which hinder the worship to be rendered to God, the joy proper to the Lord’s day, or the suitable relaxation of mind and body.
Can. 1248
§1. A person who assists at a Mass celebrated anywhere in a Catholic rite either on the feast day itself or in the evening of the preceding day satisfies the obligation of participating in the Mass.
§2. If participation in the eucharistic celebration becomes impossible because of the absence of a sacred minister or for another grave cause, it is strongly recommended that the faithful take part in a liturgy of the word if such a liturgy is celebrated in a parish church or other sacred place according to the prescripts of the diocesan bishop or that they devote themselves to prayer for a suitable time alone, as a family, or, as the occasion permits, in groups of families.

Eastern Catholic churches

CCEO Canon 403
1. With due regard for the right and obligation to preserve everywhere their own rite, lay persons have the right to participate actively in the liturgical celebrations of any Church sui iuris whatsoever, according to the norms of the liturgical books.

CCEO Canon 881
1. The Christian faithful are bound by the obligation to participate on Sundays and feast days in the Divine Liturgy, or according to the prescriptions or legitimate customs of their own Church sui iuris, in the celebration of the divine praises.
2. In order for the Christian faithful to fulfill this obligation more easily, the available time runs from the evening of the vigil until the end of the Sunday or feast day.
3. The Christian faithful are strongly recommended to receive the Divine Eucharist on these days and indeed more frequently, even daily.
4. The Christian faithful should abstain from those labors or business matters which impede the worship to be rendered to God, the joy which is proper to the Lord's day, or to the proper relaxation of mind and body.

[quote="GreatBeliever, post:1, topic:295058"]
Was that wrong of me to take Communion there?

[/quote]

I know this phrase is now common since Communion in the hand has been prevalent for so long in the Latin Church in the U.S., but just remember we always receive communion. A slight change in thought that has immense spiritual implications!

[quote="thistle, post:13, topic:295058"]

[/quote]

Apparently, it is meant to resemble the muzzle of a rabbit, mouse, Disney bird, or some similar creature with round, pudgy cheeks. :3

The spider I killed last night would be something like this: :::::

[quote="Cavaille-Coll, post:17, topic:295058"]
Apparently, it is meant to resemble the muzzle of a rabbit, mouse, Disney bird, or some similar creature with round, pudgy cheeks. :3

The spider I killed last night would be something like this: :::::

[/quote]

Wrong.
It's just a cutesy emote. :)

[quote="Vico, post:15, topic:295058"]
Did you know that the holy day obligation can only be fulfilled in a Catholic Church? If one cannot get to a Catholic Church, then there is no obligation for the Mass/Liturgy. (It's still day of rest.)

Latin church

CIC
Can. 1247 On Sundays and other holy days of obligation, the faithful are obliged to participate in the Mass. Moreover, they are to abstain from those works and affairs which hinder the worship to be rendered to God, the joy proper to the Lord’s day, or the suitable relaxation of mind and body.
Can. 1248
§1. A person who assists at a Mass celebrated anywhere in a Catholic rite either on the feast day itself or in the evening of the preceding day satisfies the obligation of participating in the Mass.
§2. If participation in the eucharistic celebration becomes impossible because of the absence of a sacred minister or for another grave cause, it is strongly recommended that the faithful take part in a liturgy of the word if such a liturgy is celebrated in a parish church or other sacred place according to the prescripts of the diocesan bishop or that they devote themselves to prayer for a suitable time alone, as a family, or, as the occasion permits, in groups of families.

Eastern Catholic churches

CCEO Canon 403
1. With due regard for the right and obligation to preserve everywhere their own rite, lay persons have the right to participate actively in the liturgical celebrations of any Church sui iuris whatsoever, according to the norms of the liturgical books.

CCEO Canon 881
1. The Christian faithful are bound by the obligation to participate on Sundays and feast days in the Divine Liturgy, or according to the prescriptions or legitimate customs of their own Church sui iuris, in the celebration of the divine praises.
2. In order for the Christian faithful to fulfill this obligation more easily, the available time runs from the evening of the vigil until the end of the Sunday or feast day.
3. The Christian faithful are strongly recommended to receive the Divine Eucharist on these days and indeed more frequently, even daily.
4. The Christian faithful should abstain from those labors or business matters which impede the worship to be rendered to God, the joy which is proper to the Lord's day, or to the proper relaxation of mind and body.

[/quote]

Absolutely I'm aware of the canons you quoted, as well as canon CIC 844 :), etc. For those who wish to receive Communion or who have particular questions about the Sunday obligation, guidance from their proper bishop/hierarch in their particular circumstances is advisable.

[quote="SerraSemper, post:19, topic:295058"]
Absolutely I'm aware of the canons you quoted, as well as canon CIC 844 :), etc. For those who wish to receive Communion or who have particular questions about the Sunday obligation, guidance from their proper bishop/hierarch in their particular circumstances is advisable.

[/quote]

Surely. I only meant here that the obligation is not fulfilled in a non-Catholic church.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.