Can Rome be in a state of apostasy and heresy?

Is this even possible? I thought “the gates of hell shall not prevail against it” made it pretty clear that it CANNOT and WILL NOT teach/preach heresy. This is (apparently) why the SSPX is “divided” from Rome.

No

I thought “the gates of hell shall not prevail against it” made it pretty clear that it CANNOT and WILL NOT teach/preach heresy. This is (apparently) why the SSPX is “divided” from Rome.

So one of them is in error (Catholic Church or SSPX). Our Lord made no promises to the SSPX, so we know which one to believe when they have contradicting positions in the area of faith and/or morals.

It’s possible for a Pope to be individually an apostate or heretic, but he is prevented from proclaiming his error as Church doctrine.

We’ve had a few Popes who were quite bad (Alexander-4, for example) and who could perhaps be called apostate. But, offhand, I can’t think of any Pope that believed anything heretical, even privately.

I believe you mean Alexander VI, Rodrigo Borgia.

This is a long perpetuated fiction, I’d encourage you to look more carefully at Alexander VI. He was not a “bad” Pope doctrinally. He did have moral failings, mainly his carnal appetite and subsequent poor judgment regarding his progeny. He was a prince of the Church at a time when the political situation in Europe was highly complex and he was very able in this regard.

newadvent.org/cathen/01289a.htm

I am sorry, this is outright fiction. Alexander was not an apostate, and no other Pope has been an apostate either.

Interesting!

No. It is not possible.

Stop reading Protestant Propaganda, and start reading Catholic books on the matter, and get the correct version, we did have a very few bad Popes in the Middle Ages but they were to busy enjoying themselves to have proclaimed anything, so that never happened Bad doctrine. Our Lord has said He Will be with His Church until the end of Time no Church could still be around in 2014 if this was not the case after Our Lord Ascended into Heaven., the Church is 2000 years old and has had many, many Holy Popes, why don’t you concentrate on these ?

Op was quoting SSPX ideas which isn’t Protestant at all. But yes, I do agree that Op should stop listening to what they are saying. I would suggest to read the book “More Catholic than the Pope” which goes into the movement and what they believe etc.

Well I wasn’t reading Protestant Propaganda…I was debating a fellow teenager on Vatican II (she’s a member of the SSPX). That was her argument for “the split”.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.