Can Satan heal people?

Make the blind see or lame walk. Cure cancer in people. etc.

I believe he is capable of performing false miracles in order to deceive people. So yes, I believe that he could conceivably ‘heal’ someone in order to turn them away from trusting in God. Any good that he may do would be for the purpose of harm, however.

:thumbsup:

He can inflict harm on them and then retract it. So if he was responsible for an illness he could probably take it away

Real healings? No, Satan cannot. He does not have that kind of power.

Only Christ

I find it hard to believe that healing would even be on the satanic menu. I could envision him easing a lost soul’s condition so that he might continue Satan’s work for him. I would guess that Satan would want all, including his “followers” to suffer, sooner or later, as they are creations of God.

Satan can inflict cancer and other illnesses on us?

Based on Job’s experiences I believe that Satan only can do things to a person with God’s approval. Remember how he went to God and told Him that it was easy for Job to love and respect God when He was blessed so much and asked God to “let me have at him.” (my words, of course)

I don’t fear satan - God has proven over and over He will be there for me…

Rita

Only Christ can heal, I think I read something that said that would be like a house divided.

Matthew 12:22-28

Cancer and other illnesses are due to the fallen and broken nature of this world. Satan does not cause cancer or other illnesses.

Nor can he heal them.

Only Christ.

Satan is responsible for great signs and wonders. Healing can be among them.

Matthew 24:24
"For false Christs and false prophets will arise and will show great signs and wonders, so as to mislead, if possible, even the elect.

2 Thessalonians 2:9
that is, the one whose coming is in accord with the activity of Satan, with all power and signs and false wonders,

He can “appear” to heal, but he can not.

womenofgrace.com/blog/?p=1198

Satan cannot “heal” – but he can easily appear to do so, which means his healings are always counterfeit. Either a person is healed through the power of suggestion (much like the placebo effect) or through an illusion of some kind. There are also several other reasons why people believe themselves to be healed and Satan is more than happy to cooperate with these to fool someone. The bottom line is that the devil has more than enough power to convince someone that they’ve been healed, even when they have not.

But don’t take my word for it. Let’s see what Scripture has to say on this subject.

First of all, nowhere in Scripture do we find evidence that Satan has the power or authority to heal. Therefore, because he is not capable of doing anything good, he cannot heal anyone,but, as I said, only appear to do so.

Next, let’s look at Job 2:7 where we read “Satan went out from the presence of the Lord and inflicted loathsome sores on Job from the sole of his foot to the crown of his head.” This tells us that sickness or injury can definitely originate from Satan if God allows it. Therefore, it follows that Satan would certainly be able to make a person feel better or even appear to be healed if he simply stopped inflicting the sickness on a person.

However, keep in mind that because he’s incapable of doing anything good, he’s not withdrawing the affliction because he wants to help the person. He’s doing it because he wants to trick them into turning away from God and convincing them to rely on other powers such as those found in the occult and New Age “energy” for their needs. Remember, Jesus told us that Satan is a “murderer” and a “liar and the father of lies” (John 8:44). Satan always wants death and destruction, never healing and life.

As I mentioned, Satan is also a master of illusion. “For Satan himself transforms himself into an angel of light” (2Corinthians 11:14).

There are ample warnings about this aspect of Satan in Scripture. “For false christs and false prophets will rise and show great signs and wonders to deceive, if possible, even the elect” (Matt. 24:24), and “The coming of the lawless one is according to the working of Satan, with all power, signs, and lying wonders” (2 Thess. 2:9).

The anti-Christ will mimic all the great miracles of Christ, such as walking on water, raising the dead, healing the sick, but these will all be lies.

We know from these warnings that Satan is entirely capable of fooling even the holiest among us, which is why our benevolent God has promised that He will shorten this time.

I don’t know. Maybe?

I think that if he could, it would be only a tool for him to get his hooks into somebody; and certainly not out of any compassion for the poor wretch he’s “healing”.

Whenever Satan does anything for anyone, there are always strings attatched. A price to be paid. Nothing is ever free with him. An example could be “I’ll cure your mother’s cancer, but you owe me…” Something like that. IF he has that kind of power.

However, as another poster said, if we look at Job; Satan could only do what God allowed him to. I have to file this question under “I don’t know”.

A GREAT question. Very original. I’m impressed.

Thank you for all your responses, conflicting as they are. Maybe a bit of truth in all the answers. Sorry guys I’m still confused. :confused: I need to research this more.

“he can give you an illness then cure it for his own evil purposes”

“no he can’t, only Jesus can heal”

“he can heal but only when God permits it”

“he can perform wonders that look like miracles but he can’t perform miracles”

The short answer, Saving, is that we don’t know for sure. I doubt that any of the respondents here are theologians; and if you REALLY want to know (rather than simply spawn a very interesting conversation) you may have to consult an actual Catholic priest, or even someone with a PhD in theology.

It’s a tough question, and although it may be a simple “yes or no” question; I imagine that most of us are not qualified to definitively answer it. :shrug:

I love the discussion, but for the factual answer you may need to go to the “professionals” on this one.

Good hunting.

I’ve atually encountered a couple of Protestants in my life, who insisted that Satan sometimes answers intercessory prayers to the Blessed Mother or the Saints in order to lead people away from Jesus.

I heard a priest talk about this, and he said that Satan can appear to heal people, but since it is a false healing, it will not be permanent. It will be a deception. Everything Satan does is a deception.

My understanding of this is that Satan can only heal those illnesses which he caused to happen in the first place. Yes, Satan can cause illness. Just ask any exorcist.

NO!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.