Can scrupulous toughts be sinful?

i have been wondering that if scrupulous toughts can become sinful, for example if a person does something he thinks it is sinful and really dont care about it, does it becomes sinful. note that this is diferent than doing something with the intention of it to being sinful. since the first acts with the persons interests as a motive while the late the motif is to offend God.

and what if the person is not scrupulous but has a mistaken idea of something sinful?

If this is actually happening, I would discuss it with a spiritual director.

I was told by a priest that if you think something is sinful and still do it, even if it’s not, your intent was sinful, and the lack of caring about sin… so I would watch these intentions and confess the intent. I have scrupulosity btw… however, random bad thoughts that you don’t consent to, are not a sin. It’s intent and consent that make something a sin.

If you’re in doubt, I would just ask a priest in Confession :slight_smile:

God bless!

I’m sorry, but I can’t make sense of the question, either grammatically or conceptually. Can you clarify what you mean?

Generally, it’s unhelpful for a scrupulous person to think about whether things are sinful. It would be better to think about whether things are loving or beneficial.

A person with scruples - ought to have a *“regular confessor” *who can direct them. Such is the age old practice in the Church.

For ones scruples interfere with right judgement of conscience. One can become like a ship without a rudder. For a time at least one needs that regular confessor. One follows his direction (in what is not manifest sin -like he says go murder so and so -that one would not do). He knowing your particular difficulty can also give you* general principles* for you to follow.

somehow i dont think that applies in that case, maybe in a normal situation, but in the case of scrupulous people as you have seen even something as normal as walking can become a sin, so they might be prone to have the “sin of walking” somewhat seems unfair that they have more ocasions of sin because of an illness.
actually I’ve heard that scrupulous persons are to act against their concience in lots of cases, of course im not a priest so i don’t know for sure anything like this.

well, the question is about scruples, let me give you an example to see if this makes it more clear:

person A has scruples, so he has the tought that walking at that moment is a sin, it is of course not, but that person does not care and continues walking. does the attitude of person A made it sinful? or just like any scrupulous tought was just something made up in the mind and ought to be ignored.

A person with scruples - ought to have a “regular confessor” who can direct them. Such is the age old practice in the Church.

For ones scruples interfere with right judgement of conscience. One can become like a ship without a rudder. For a time at least one needs that regular confessor. One follows his direction (in what is not manifest sin -like he says go murder so and so -that one would not do). He knowing your particular difficulty can also give you general principles for you to follow.

Penitent: I have the thought that walking is sinful.

Confessor: That is a scruple -dismiss it and walk.

Penitent: But it seems sinful to me to do that.

Confessor: It is a scruple and your are to dismiss it and walk.

Penitent: But if I do I will sin.

Confessor: You will not. I am your confessor and you struggle with scruples - it is not a sin to walk -you are to go and walk and it will not be any sin.

Penitent: But is that not acting against my conscience? And something I should not do?

Confessor: No- it is a scruple. Your acting against a scruple under the direction of your confessor.

Penitent: But what if the thought happens still?

Confessor: Dismiss it. And walk. Scruples are to be dismissed not argued with.

Penitent: Should I then confess it if it happens next week?

Confessor: No. You are to walk and act against this scruple by walking - as your confessor has directed you. There is no sin and it should not be mentioned. You are to resist any urge to do so.

Confessor: And treat this scruple like a hissing goose or a barking dog -does one stop to argue with a hissing goose or a barking dog?

Penitent: No. You do not.

Confessor: Right - You keep moving down the path.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.