Can seminaries accept impure persons?

can you still be accepted in the seminary if you commited impurities such as masterbation?

I'm not a priest.But I imagine IMO seminaries can accept persons who have masturbated or are still mastturbating under certain considerations.Seminarians are often sinners like we are.They can be called to serve God in this special way.

The Sisters of Mary were on Oprah, and said that people that have had sex, etc. before can still become Sisters, BUT they have to have led chaste lives for some time before entering. So, you would need to get out of mortal sins and work on chastity and get stable before entering somewhere, as I see it. It makes sense. I'm sure that some fall years after being stable though, and I'm sure you work on that at seminary with your spiritual director.

Please get a good spiritual director or regular confessor if this is an area of struggle for you. Also, please read Fr. Andrew Apostoli's book "When God Asks for an Undivided Heart." This is a book about celibacy and he has an entire chapter on the subject of masturbation. Another good book is Fr. Benedict Groeschel's book "The Courage to be Chaste." He also treats the subject of masturbation as it relates to the celibate person. I will say a prayer for you.

If seminaries could not accept people that had done impure things or had impure thoughts, they would have zero candidates.

The ONLY humans that have lived that would meet that qualification are Mary and her son Jesus.

Jesus appointed actual human beings as his Apostles. Peter had a temper problem (cutting off the ear of the Temple servant), and he denied Jesus 3 times. St. Paul persecuted Christians, and help many to be put to death before his conversion.

Do you really think that masturbation comes even remotely close to those sins? Yet God chose those people to spread his message.

Now, get you head out of books, and look at real life. Priests need to be aware of the real world, not some idealistic vision.

[quote="elizabeth_anne, post:4, topic:234584"]
Please get a good spiritual director or regular confessor if this is an area of struggle for you. Also, please read Fr. Andrew Apostoli's book "When God Asks for an Undivided Heart." This is a book about celibacy and he has an entire chapter on the subject of masturbation. Another good book is Fr. Benedict Groeschel's book "The Courage to be Chaste." He also treats the subject of masturbation as it relates to the celibate person. I will say a prayer for you.

[/quote]

Funny, I was just going to recommend Fr. Andrew's book, too, as I got it as a free gift when I attended the vocation retreat of the CFR Sisters in January 2010. I have yet to read the whole book, but the parts I read were very interesting. The chapter about Masturbation is wonderful as it makes it clear how the Church feels about it.

OP, if you are struggling with impurity, know that you are not alone. There are support groups out there to help. You might want to look up CSGSAR which is a group I was involved in a few years ago when I was struggling with the same problem (yep, women struggle with it too). Also, the St. Michael novena was a HUGE help to me!

Of course they will. They'll even accept those who are not virgins. If a person isn't fighting this sin and is committing sins of impurity on a regular basis that might be a problem. They understand that we are all sinners, and some, such as some, have done stupid things in the past. As long as you have repented and moved on, a seminary would accept you.

I googled and came across this: lightplanet.com/mormons/daily/sexuality/overcoming_masturbation.html

It looks like a great way to break the habit for those with it.

As with all sins, I think accountability is very important. Let your confessor or spiritual director know your struggle and keep fighting it. Frequent confession and thereafter, Communion.

closed #9

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.