Can somebody please sum up what the Gnostics stand for?

I cannot seem to find out what they beleive in, they claim the Christian God, however they have many obscene beleifs, such as Jesus was never a human, he was something called an a avavatar (sp?)- and what REALLY gets me is the beleif that Jesus came to save us… from GOD! In Gnostic cosmology, Sophia (the Holy spirit), a divine emanation, seeks to know God, and in doing, falls outside the “Pleroma,” or divine light. As She falls, she gives birth to Yaldaboth, who is also Satan/Yahweh(whatever that blashphemy means), who believes himself to be God, and creates the material world and mankind, trapping Sophia within. The serpent in the Garden, and later, Jesus himself, are manifestations of the Holy spirit attempting to free mankind from slavery. Gnostics taught that because of this, the material world is abhorrent. Does this make any sense to you? Odd. What are their basic beleifs? What is their scripture basically about?

Here is an article on Gnosticism.

newadvent.org/cathen/06592a.htm

Where in the hell do they get these beliefs from??? I cannot see how anything Jesus or the apostles or any of the prophets ever said or did backs up these beliefs. Heretics: can’t live with 'em, can’t…wait, nevermind.

Gnostics are kind of a movement, one of the first heresys that ever hit the Church. I mean that they are a movement in that they will infect a religion like a virus and using the religions own words, transform them into their beliefs. A modern virgin of the Gnostic is the New Age movement. The force be with you guys.

About the time of Christ it hit the Assyrians and Babylonians, and shortly afterwards they hit the Christians. Their orgins seems to be from India or there abouts.

Pax
John

These are the two best articles I’ve seen on the subject:

Gnosticism and the Gnostic Jesus, Part 1
iclnet.org/pub/resources/text/cri/cri-jrnl/web/crj0040a.html

The Gnostic Gospels: Part Two; Are They Authentic?
trueorigin.org/naghammadi2.asp

Gnostics claim to know something that shouldn’t have been knownAgnostics don’t know something that should have been known

[quote=abcdefg]Gnostics claim to know something that shouldn’t have been knownAgnostics don’t know something that should have been known
[/quote]

:stuck_out_tongue:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.