Can somebody who has acepted the mark of the beast repent?

I wondered whether they could repent or whether for this one occasion it would be too late?

I read somewhere that during the reign of Antiochus the priests had to sacrifice in the temple before the statue of Zeus before they could acquire food. Maybe they put a mark on their hand each time?

Thanks.

Scripture seems to hold that they cannot be forgiven; I’d leave it at that.

ICXC NIKA

Take a lesson from the early Church: en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Novatianism

GEddie,
I don’t intend to argue the point; however, I don’t read in scripture where this is suggested, that the priests cannot be forgiven, would you mind showing me in scripture where such is either stated or suggested?

What I see is that in the OT where those that have broken the covenant are forgiven over and over and over again when God could have simply obliterated the people… David comes right to mind here!

Do we also not read in the Book of Daniel Ch11 around Vs 33 that those that did not fall and with wisdom will help those that have fallen and in Vs 35 do we not read that those that have fallen will be “purged, purified, and made clean until the end of time.”

Also in 2Mcabees1, do we not read about the purification and rededication of the temple and the people to God? Would not this suggest that those that have made the sacrifice before the statue of Zeus are not necessarily lost for all time?

Respectfully, I do ask for some reference within scripture that either implies or explicitly condemns those priests that made the sacrifices before Zeus during the reign of Antiochus are condemned for all times.

Yes, just finished reading revelations recently and I believe it’s clear he gives them many chances to repent, but they choose not to.

I hope this has helped

God Bless You

Thank you for reading
Josh

As mentioned in the quote. It is a heresy to deny a sinner to repent. This is the reason that the Narthex was built to begin with. When the Church was legalized, and they no longer had to hold Mass in the catacombs the Church had a problem. Many people denied their faith during persecutions, but had repented. Until they were brought back into full communion they would be in the Narthex before being allowed into the Knave of church.

The one unpardonable sin is blaspheming against the Holy Spirit which the early fathers of the Church who were taught by the disciples of the Apostles interpreted that scripture passage to mean that “God does not have the power to do something” like forgive sins, or attributing to Satan an act from God. When we go to confession and say God cannot forgive me of X sin we are listening to Satan (the great accuser in the book of Revelation), and not to the all Merciful God. God can make all things new, and he has promised us that if we repent he will accept us. Think of parable of the laborers and the ones that came in the last hour received the same wage, and about St. Dimas the good thief on the cross. If Judas would have turned to the tree of life (Jesus on the cross - its fruit the Eucharist) instead of the tree of knowledge of good and evil (dependence on himself outside of God) he would not have hung himself and God would have forgiven him.

Perhaps this would be a more in-depth explanation of just what is/was intended as the “unpardonable sin”
(as with any of my quotes… one should follow the link to the source for full context:)
EWTN: James Akin - THE UNFORGIVABLE SIN
(…)
The identification of the unforgivable sin as final impenitence—dying in a state of unrepentance—can be shown to go back at least to the time of Augustine. In fact, in the Summa Aquinas gives a nice little catalogue of Augustine’s passages dealing with the subject:

“Augustine says . . . (Enchiridion lxxxiii) that ‘he who dies in a state of obstinacy is guilty of the sin against the Holy Ghost,’ and (De Verb. Dom., Serm. lxxi) that ‘impenitence is a sin against the Holy Ghost,’ and (De Serm. Dom. in Monte xxii), that ‘to resist fraternal goodness with the brands of envy is to sin against the Holy Ghost,’ and in his book De unico Baptismo (De Bap. contra Donat. vi, 35) he says that ‘a man who spurns the truth, is either envious of his brethren to whom the truth is revealed, or ungrateful to God, by Whose inspiration the Church is taught,’ and therefore, seemingly, sins against the Holy Ghost” (ST 2b:14:2, Sed Contra).
(…)

To quote Slim Pickens “Ditto”

Very interesting.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.